Talk

Advanced search

Heating

(21 Posts)
Mumsmet Fri 01-Dec-17 23:03:07

Do you keep the heating on all night?

dudsville Fri 01-Dec-17 23:04:35

No. We like to sleep in cool rooms. Windows open throughout the year!

Mumsmet Fri 01-Dec-17 23:11:08

Thanks for your reply.

Without the heating on, it gets as low as 12.5 degrees indoors and I find it hard to sleep when I am cold....
I think I will find a hot water bottle!
We do not have the windows open but our house is old and rather draughty

Chirrup5 Fri 01-Dec-17 23:13:15

Have it all on day when it's cold but switched off at night

SkeletonSkins Fri 01-Dec-17 23:15:28

We do, on the coldest of nights.

Chirrup5 Fri 01-Dec-17 23:18:02

Mumsmet I also cannot function when cold. Even when the heating is on full I am still to be found snuggling under a fleecy blanket and ditto at bedtime. I hate HATE being cold

dudsville Fri 01-Dec-17 23:18:18

Ooh, that's really cold! Flannel sheets, hot water bottle or electric Blanket ake nosy Def heat on to a temp that you think would be suitable. I used to live in a cold house and I thought it was more effort to warm it up each time than it was just to leave it set to a base temp.

dudsville Fri 01-Dec-17 23:20:03

Oops! I'm not one for correcting my typos but that made me laugh, ake nosy Def sounds like a name for a music artist!

DurhamDurham Fri 01-Dec-17 23:21:40

I can’t sleep if the heating is left on overnight. If we’re staying with friends or in a hotel the first thing we do is switch the radiators off in the bedroom.
I’d much rather be too cold than too hot in bed.

gamerchick Fri 01-Dec-17 23:22:28

God no. The boiler room is directly under my bedroom. The hum drives me insane angry

Lots of bedding and hot water bottle does.

glow1984 Fri 01-Dec-17 23:23:26

I would love too but DP like cold rooms. The coldest in the house so far has been 14 degrees so I wear too layers and have a big throw on my side of the bed. I like being super snuggly warm :D

GrowThroughWhatYouGoThrough Fri 01-Dec-17 23:24:32

I leave the thermostat set to 18 at night so if it drops below that the heating kicks in

Thirtyrock39 Fri 01-Dec-17 23:25:29

Last few nights I have been really cold and have got up about 430 and put heating on ..I don't like being to warm overnight but used to set timer for a couple of hours around 1am when the kids were babies just to stop it getting too cold

purpleme12 Fri 01-Dec-17 23:33:43

No. It's got down to 9 and 10 degrees recently here inside our house but I have 15 tog duvet and it really does keep me warm. Never have heating on at night and I am someone who feels the cold and it gets me down

mehhh Fri 01-Dec-17 23:35:39

I love heat but if it's warm in bed I can't cope!

But we are the same it gets freezing through the night; could you set your heating so it comes on for 30 mins or so in the middle of the night to heat it up a bit? Or turn your radiators on low and leave on overnight?

We either leave it off and turn on first thing or set it to come on through the night

Eilasor Fri 01-Dec-17 23:35:59

Yes, when it's really cold, although it rarely gets that way in England. DH and I are both used to -10 to -20 degree winters, so the uk feels rather mild to us although this last week has felt fucking freezing.

Mumsmet Sun 03-Dec-17 23:46:29

Thanks for all your replies!

Orangebird69 Sun 03-Dec-17 23:51:14

I've got storage heaters in my cottage so not much choice. The kitchen and playroom heaters are on 2/3. I use the convection part of the lounge storage heater as and when I need to. My bedroom heater is on 1/2. Ds's room is on 2 (not that he ever sleeps in it 🙄). I don't like hot rooms at night but with storage heaters you don't really get a lot of choice. And I like my house warm in the day. I hate the 'put another jumper on' mentality.

DrussIsTheLegend Mon 04-Dec-17 00:04:59

Nope. We turn it on for 2 hours in the morning so I can get the kids out of bed without complaint. Then 1 hour in the evening so it's warm when they bath.

That's only in cold weather between Nov and Feb. The rest of the year it's ad hoc.

BelleandBeast Mon 04-Dec-17 00:19:43

No, but have a 15 tog duvet, windows are open all year and an electric blanket. I am mid hot flushes so need to throw off the duvet to cold air.

Sychnant Fri 08-Dec-17 13:30:03

Yes, because once our ancient Esse is switched on it stays on! It has to be lit manually and there is no option for a timer or anything on it. It's also a pita to light, no way we could light it every morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now