Talk

Advanced search

Sorting out after moving in

(24 Posts)
katymac Wed 29-Nov-17 18:24:02

When we moved in I threw everything I didn't immediatley need into my sewing room

2 months later I am slowly sorting it out - but I am having a big push this week as my Brother & neice need to sleep there over Christmas

I have sorted 9 boxes of childminding/nursery paperwork that needs to go in the attic
2 enormous boxes of paperwork to go to recycling
2 boxes for DD (dumped in her room for her to sort out in Feb halfterm)
a box if actual rubbish

I have managed to put up a single bed & I can see the wall which was covered in boxes on Tuesday morning!!

I still have an enormous amount to do & i don't think it will be a sewing room in the forsee-able future

But I do feel good I have started, and I feel (not sure of the word an antonym of anticipate? terrified?) about what is still to come!!

SerenadeOfTheSchoolRun Wed 29-Nov-17 18:29:40

Well done, I am regularly in tears and telling everyone that moving as awful but it does feel better when progress is made. In six months time this will all be forgotten. Good luck for the best bit.

katymac Wed 29-Nov-17 18:43:34

I'm not quite in tears but it is overwhealming

katymac Wed 29-Nov-17 21:55:29

I got another 2 boxes done and put a desk in the right place - now there is space

Knackered!!

mousemoose Wed 29-Nov-17 22:13:08

It is hell!

katymac Wed 29-Nov-17 22:15:35

itks all the stuff you donkt need until itks urgent i found christmas decs tho'

ScrubbyGarden Wed 29-Nov-17 22:32:30

katy I am in the same boat!! I'm down to the last 10 boxes and now I can't remember what has been unpacked and shoved into a cupboard (and if so, where???) and what is still in boxes. The rain over for the buggy has yet to turn up...

katymac Wed 29-Nov-17 22:35:41

I am trying desperately hard not to just shove stuff away - I think that's why it's taking so long

I've lost the screws for the spare bed and an old wardrobe I want to freecycle - it's killing me not knowing where they are

DH is very against drilling so I have lots of shelves/cupborads waiting to go up <sigh>

ScrubbyGarden Thu 30-Nov-17 15:12:29

We need to build some kind of storage bonanza and don't really know what we want, so that's not helping...

katymac Thu 30-Nov-17 15:56:48

Yes we need to build a thing too - it's frustrating!

Can we help with your storgae thingie?

katymac Fri 01-Dec-17 21:49:00

Got 8 large boxes up in the attic - hopefully most of the childminding/nursery paperwork is now safely 'archived'

Now I just need to deal with the aftermath that is the sewing room

ScrubbyGarden Fri 01-Dec-17 22:53:01

Woo hoo, well done!!
I think our main problem re storage is that we haven't settled on a "look". Hopefully I can bury myself in interiors Mags over the break (hmmm. Not sure this is likely...£

katymac Sat 02-Dec-17 10:38:48

What are you trying to store?

I love storage especially difficult storage.....although sometimes it gets too confusing

katymac Sat 02-Dec-17 12:36:39

Had a lazy morning helping DD decide what to do with her first paycheck.....& just now went up to the sewing room which has no spilt out on to the landing & DD's room too

I'm not sure it will ever get done - it's quite scary

I'm just looking at one bit at a time, I guess that is all I can do

katymac Sat 02-Dec-17 13:35:46

I can see floor!!!

GentlyGentlyOhDear Sat 02-Dec-17 13:40:34

Well done! We are moving after Christmas so I'm starting to get rid of as much as possible now so I don't have to do it at the other end!

katymac Sat 02-Dec-17 14:54:02

Good idea "getting rid of stuff before you move"!!

I did tonnes of that too and yet the stuff keeps appearring !!!!!

katymac Sat 02-Dec-17 15:05:38

& let's not even thonk about those things "we couldn't possibly need in the new house" that we had got rid of and then had to buy again!!!

GardenGeek Sat 02-Dec-17 15:12:15

Haha I would post a picture of our spare room but its too embarassing!

We moved 4 months ago and I feel like a hoarder.

GardenGeek Sat 02-Dec-17 15:12:33

Yes we have no storage! That is the issue.

katymac Sat 02-Dec-17 18:27:56

Damn - found 2 boxes that need to go in the attic - DH will be peeved to have to get the ladder out of the shed again

NapQueen Sat 02-Dec-17 18:30:39

9 boxes of childminding paperwork is crazy!!!!

katymac Sat 02-Dec-17 18:46:57

I know employee stuff stays for 3 years, Tax/expenses for 7, children's info 21 years 9 months & insurance, CP, Medication, accident books for 75 years or until I'm dead

& I did 13 years - goodness knows how many children that was!

So either I go in every APril & cull a bit or I ignore it until we move house again.....I know which I am learning towards wink

GentlyGentlyOhDear Sun 03-Dec-17 11:14:40

Crikey that is LOADS of paperwork! I will give my childminder an extra Christmas present now knowing she has all that bureaucracy to deal with!

I am working through the wardrobes over the next couple of weeks and getting rid of clothes that I never wear. None of us really have that much 'stuff', but we seem to ahve the same storage problem as everyone else on the thread!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now