Talk

Advanced search

My hoover smells!

(17 Posts)
Lucinda15 Thu 16-Nov-17 22:40:49

I have a Miele hoover, and a few weeks ago hoovered the carpet which I had sponge cleaned in a couple of areas for some stains that came in on someone’s shoe hmm (with dettol) I don’t think I had let it dry enough and it must have taken up the water from those areas.

I took the hoover out to use a week later and instantly smelt pretty moudlu/mildewy. I stopped using it and changed the bag and both filters, but the mouldy/mildew smell remains whenever I use it (although slightly better)! It smells like wet dog!

DH is going to take what he can apart and soak the hose and everything in bleach and leave to dry, in hope it will kill any mouldy spores/smells.

But is that the right thing to do? Will it damage the parts? Is there anything else I can do? Have I ruined the hoover?

I’m just a bit disgusted and hate this horrible smell, we have a 5 month old baby and I’m reluctant to use it incase I am spreading mouldy spores all over the house sad

Kitsharrington Sat 18-Nov-17 08:23:17

It could be a coincidence. Hoovers just tend to get a bit smelly after a while. Try putting a few drops of essential oil on a teabag and putting it inside the vacuum against the filter. It will make the whole house smell lovely.

hairylegsdontcare Sat 18-Nov-17 08:26:22

We had the same when my DH hoovered up the remains of a dead bird our cat brought in 🙄

We did the same: soaked all parts in bleach except those with electrical parts. Scrubbed nooks and crannies with a toothbrush. When it had dried, we reassembled and then hoovered up a whole carton of shake n vac. Did the trick!

Lucinda15 Sat 18-Nov-17 08:31:05

Thanks both, good tips will deffo try out later xx

Dodie66 Sat 18-Nov-17 08:47:47

I have a dyson rechargeable that has started to smell. It doesn’t have a bag that you empty and no hose but it smells. I cleaned part of the carpet with carpet foam after the cat was sick. I then hoovered it when it was dry and wonder if it was that which caused the smell,
I’ve washed the filter. Any ideas what else I can do

e1y1 Sun 19-Nov-17 01:36:18

Those smelly washer beads (Lenor unstoppables and the like), make a really good vac freshener.

I use them all the time for the hoover, far more than for Laundry.

NickMyLipple Sun 19-Nov-17 01:39:34

They make freshener sticks for miele!

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Sun 19-Nov-17 01:45:37

Oooh I love taking my hoover apart and giving it a good clean out. I have a bagless Miele and so far no smells but I used to put a tissue with essential oils in my Henry to keep it fragrant.

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Sun 19-Nov-17 01:47:34

dodie does your dyson have a turbo brush? Sometimes the bristles need a bit of a scrub.

TracyBeakerSoYeah Sun 19-Nov-17 01:50:11

Our Dyson has a filter or whatever it is called that DH takes out & washes every so often.

TheTroutofNoCraic Sun 19-Nov-17 16:55:40

I use the lavender oil on a tissue method for my Henry

TroysMammy Sun 19-Nov-17 16:59:46

My DP dropped and smashed a jar of fenugreek on the kitchen floor and hoovered it up. I washed the hoover, febreezed it but still it stunk. We threw the hoover out.

Ilovetolurk Sun 19-Nov-17 17:59:43

OP I have just thrown a vac out for similar reason

My DM “kindly” washed the filter and it was still wet when she replaced it. The water ran into the motor. That was it as cannot take the motor apart to clean it

GladAllOver Sun 19-Nov-17 18:04:33

Is it official now that all vacuum cleaners are called 'hoovers'. How do you distinguish a hoover that is a Hoover? smile

TracyBeakerSoYeah Sun 19-Nov-17 20:31:15

Luxe Hoover gringringrin

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Sun 19-Nov-17 20:54:26

It’s never been vacuum cleaner in my house. Always hoover. I can’t imagine my mum ever saying vacuum cleaner! Or my granny for that matter!

NamedyChangedy Mon 20-Nov-17 13:51:56

I inadvertently hoovered vacuumed up some vomit the other day and my Henry smells foul. I thought I’d scraped as much as I could off the carpet before scrubbing it but I clearly didn’t do a good enough job. Ironic seeing as I’d just seen a thread on here where someone’s DH has done it.

I took apart all the bits I could and gave them a good flush with Flash in hot water but the stench is still there. Off to find some essential oils, and maybe some shake n’vac if anyone still sells it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now