Talk

Advanced search

Samsung washing machines are they worth the extra money

(25 Posts)
Alfiemoon1 Thu 16-Nov-17 11:43:43

Think my washer LG is about to die any recommendations. I am tempted by the Samsung add wash as i am always dropping socks on the stairs had Hotpoint in the past not impressed and also zanussi. Washing repair man says go for cheap and cheerful as less can go wrong any recommendations?

bumpertobumper Thu 16-Nov-17 13:18:10

I have a Samsung, got it about six months ago, pleased with it so far... Only gripe is that small socks can occasionally get trapped by the door and don't spin.
I went for the bottom of the range one. It has the same engine and wash process as the top of the range, just less bells and whistles, clothes are just as clean and mechanical bits just as reliable on the 400 one as s the 900 one. So bottom end of good brand is my advice.

I used to have a zanussi which was great and lasted ages, but apparently they are made by a different company now and not as reliable.

Also would suggest going to local independent retailer, once delivery and installation is included will be the same if not cheaper than online, easy flexible delivery ( same day, when suited me in my case). Helpful advice and a person to go and talk to if ever any trouble...

Saladd0dger Thu 16-Nov-17 13:23:22

I bought a Samsung in 2001 and it lasted until 2014. I wanted another Samsung but I was skint at the time. Will definitely get another when I move.

Padfoot1 Thu 16-Nov-17 13:23:30

Also have a Samsung it's 2 years old and works really well. Think it came with a 5 year warranty. There's lots of wash cycles to choose from we use the baby wash a lot think it has extra rinses and spins. Baby socks and pop socks do get trapped in the rubber seal though very annoying. It does a tune at the end of the cycle which my husband hates but I love

dementedpixie Thu 16-Nov-17 13:26:52

I put small socks and bras in a mesh laundry bag and it stops them getting trapped at the door

cakesandphotos Thu 16-Nov-17 13:30:53

I wanted an add wash but the lady in John Lewis said it was a waste of money. Most washing machines will let you pause and add something within the first 5 minutes of the cycle anyway. We got a non add wash Samsung and I love it. It gets stiff much cleaner than our last washer

dementedpixie Thu 16-Nov-17 13:32:12

Yoy can only add stuff at certain points in the cycle too. It's a bit gimmicky really

VeganIan Thu 16-Nov-17 13:37:11

Yes because of the song at the end.

And it does a 15 minute wash.

Alfiemoon1 Thu 16-Nov-17 13:44:26

Thanks the add wash seems similar in price to the eco bubble was looking at the 8 kg 1400 spin ones. How long is a normal wash ? My LG is about 3 hours so I always use the time saver option but wonder if things aren’t being properly cleaned or rinsed

Alfiemoon1 Thu 16-Nov-17 13:46:02

My LG plays a song at the end remember being amazed when I got it years ago lol

Alfiemoon1 Thu 16-Nov-17 13:49:44

Sorry it’s a 9kg 1400 spin for £449 on ao .com is it worth getting the 1600 for a little more ? Will it greatly reduce my tumble drying costs ?

Thingywhatsit Thu 16-Nov-17 13:59:27

I got a 8kg ecobubble add wash one - absolutely love it! It's 1400 spin and It does the job well! I love it to be honest!
Only issue I've had with it is that I've had to pull the machine out a few times as I've had an error message (tells you exactly what's wrong with it in the manual so you don't have to guess) as the water inlet at the back of the machine had got clogged ( new build house and still have grit in the new mains water pipes) the mesh that stops the grit entering the machine is on the end that connects to the machine rather than the end that screws into my mains under the sink.

But to be honest I could probably just get a new pipe and I'm just getting picky as I haven't got anything bad to say!

I particularly like the delay end of programme thing rather than it be a delay start - means I can have washing ready to pull out the machine at 6am rather than try and guessit all . Oh and you can turn the little tune off when it's finished washing if u like!

It's also really easy to work - my 3yr old does it for me (she loves it) and has taught my teen how to do it! (Got that on video as was hilarious!)

Oldieandgoldie Thu 16-Nov-17 14:01:00

I have a six month old Samsung which I didn’t like at first. But I’ve now got used to it.
The only issue is that it won’t spin a single item of hand washing such as a jumper, without me having to add more weight eg a couple of towels.

Alfiemoon1 Fri 17-Nov-17 16:58:12

How long is a normal 40 deg wash please

dementedpixie Fri 17-Nov-17 17:09:58

Depends what you mean by 'normal'. A cotton wash will show as 2hr 56 mins but it spins the drum a few times and that may change e.g, mine mostly goes to 2hr 10mins. If you use the daily wash then it starts at 1hr 2 mins with 2 rinses. I normally add rinses and adding 2 takes it to 1 hr 24 mins. You can add rinses and change temperatures on the washes so times will vary depending on your choices. Quick wash starts at 15 minutes and goes up to 1 hour

redfragglebiker Fri 17-Nov-17 17:16:44

We've had a Samsung washer/dryer combi for 7 years and I love it. We're moving house and I'll have room for separates now and intended to get Samsung again.

dotdotdotmustdash Fri 17-Nov-17 17:25:17

I've had my Ecobubble for the past 7 months and I really like it. The 1400 spin is really powerful and the 8kg load is plenty. I did look at the 9kg version, but our tumble dryer is only a 7kg load so we didn't bother with the extra.

I tend to use the 'daily wash' cycle which says it's 63 minutes long. It's not much more than that, but the last few minutes last longer than a few minutes! I sometimes use the 15min quick wash and then add a 12 minute spin at the end. I can have a couple of things washed and dried within an hour - very useful at times.

It's a good machine and I have no regrets.

keepingbees Fri 17-Nov-17 23:04:39

If you want cheap I can totally recommend Beko. I bought my (inexpensive) washing machine nearly 7 years ago and it’s still going strong, never needed any repairs. I have 3 kids, 2 of who weren’t even born when I got it. It’s on daily doing on average 2-3 loads a day. It’s large capacity and has quick wash. I won’t hesitate getting another.

WeAllHaveWings Fri 17-Nov-17 23:10:02

I have an eco bubble with 5 year warranty after our massively expensive aeg died after 4 years.

Love it, very quiet and cleans well. We don’t have the add wash but that sock can wait until the next wash and the thought of a door being able to open midwash freaks me out a little!

kalinkafoxtrot45 Fri 17-Nov-17 23:14:06

We bought a Siemens IQ300. Love it. Nice big drum and runs quietly.

QuitMoaning Sun 19-Nov-17 11:26:23

Our Samsung is nearly 2 years old and we like the machine but after 10 months it kept shorting out and when I contacted Samsung about it, it was a trauma and I even ended up in tears.

They said it wasn’t the machine’s fault but mine and I had to pay for an electrical engineer’s report before they would send an engineer to which I refused. I had to change fuses and report back and it took 2 weeks before they would reluctantly send an engineer.
It turned out it the heating element due to the hard water so they said it was my fault for hard water. Wtf?
The machine now has a problem with its bearings and I am too scared to call customer services as they were awful.
As a washing machine, it is pretty good, but customer services were very difficult.

Alfiemoon1 Sun 26-Nov-17 15:01:01

Thanks everyone will check out Siemens and Bosch but still edging towards a Samsung as looked on which and it has good reviews

PenelopeFlintstone Thu 30-Nov-17 10:43:09

Have there been lots of Samsung washing machine recalls in the UK? There have in Australia.

e1y1 Fri 01-Dec-17 12:55:01

@QuitMoaning, totally agree, Samsung “customer service” is horrific if something goes wrong.

A few years back, I had the top of the range 12kg eco bubble with the colour screen and everything. Got it in December, by the following May it was completely dead as a dodo, so a grand total of 6months.

The retailer I got it from had gone bust, so only had Samsung to deal with, and it was awful. As they rightly mentioned, legally the retailer was liable, but as I pointed out, they manufactured the thing, so they could at least be willing to help.

6 servicemen visits/wrong parts, yada yada, and a lot of fighting on the phone, they finally took the machine away and refunded me the purchase price.

I have a 9kg Samsung now, overall it’s ok, but I know there will be a circus if anything were to go wrong with it.

LastOneDancing Fri 01-Dec-17 13:02:08

I've had an 8kg 1400 addwash for a couple of months and so far I really like it.
I thought the add wash bit was a total gimmick but to be fair, I use it quite often for a rogue sock or teatowel that I've missed.
I use the daily 40oC setting which is 1'03 but it's very adaptable.
I also looked at a which comparison of customer satisfaction and reliability over a number of years and Samsung was in the top 3 for washers (meile and something else £££ was top) so I'm hopeful that this will last longer than my hideous Beko which was an utter nightmare.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: