Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sorting and storing the misc. items of life!

(8 Posts)
Foureyedfox Tue 14-Nov-17 12:18:03

I need inspiration! I’ve collected all the random bits and bobs together after much drawer emptying and a cull of clutter, so now I need to get it organised --instead of walking past it all.
--
I would see what marie kondo has to say on the matter, but my book is elsewhere, hopefully spreading joysmile

Oh and what can I do with foreign coins??

Ausparent Tue 14-Nov-17 12:20:11

www.theminimalists.com/jic/ Good article here about random just in case items.

Foureyedfox Tue 14-Nov-17 12:27:30

Thank you! I love those guys.

Its things like pencils, felt pens, luggage locks, adapters, hair accessories, vouchers, batteries, coins etc etc

I’ve binned all the party bag plastic bits, expired bank cards and birthday badges etc etc (and it felt good!)

I also have an impressive pile of pieces from puzzles, jigsaws, board games etcshock

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Tue 14-Nov-17 12:30:45

I have different storage containers for the different categories - so a shoebox for travel stuff (adaptors, currencies, luggage locks); another shoe box for bank/financial stuff (card readers, cheque books, vouchers). A box for batteries, a box for hair clips. We're a bit past felt tip pens everywhere now thankfully, but I used to have them corralled in a plastic box with a lid.

Foureyedfox Tue 14-Nov-17 12:37:20

Great, thanks.
Where then do you keep your boxes?

helpmum2003 Tue 14-Nov-17 14:21:22

Shoe boxes are useful for storing related bits together.
Drawer orgainers like this are good for storing cables and chargers etc
www.scottsofstow.co.uk/sos/honeycomb-drawer-organiser-1949641?cm_mmc=pla-_-google-_-shopping-_-1949641&gclid=CjwKCAiAxarQBRAmEiwA6YcGKJqAiu9Hou3SNxi8rD9mO877ZSPi2zKRrl1qTMV-hPWye7Xh-_8dbBoCkbEQAvD_BwE

Or

www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/small-storage-organisers/storage-boxes-baskets/kuggis-insert-with-8-compartments-white-art-00280208/?cid=gb%7Cps%7Cpla%7C%7C%7C%7C

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Tue 14-Nov-17 14:42:24

my house is in a bit of upheaval atm (half packed up for potentially moving), but my money and travel shoeboxes (will eventually be covered in nice paper) are on a shelf in the lounge, were on a shelf in the study. The batteries and stationery bits are in my desk drawers and cupboards. Pens and crayons were kept wherever was the designated place for colouring (i actually had a cupboard for just kids craft bits in the dining room, as generally I made the DC do messy stuff on the (wipe clean) dining room table).

I spent a bit of time working out where the different things would be needed, and worked out storage from there, rather than starting from "where can i put this?" IFSWIM?

Bowerbird5 Wed 15-Nov-17 09:10:26

I've also been wondering about this. I do have a drawer of random stuff. Shoe boxes is a good idea. You could date them and see how many times you enter the box. If you don't in a year then I guess you don't need the stuff inside. I'm trying to declutter.😫😩😱

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now