Talk

Advanced search

Any china/dinner set recommendations???

(27 Posts)
JaneEyre70 Sun 12-Nov-17 19:17:21

I've got a large family and need around 16 of each plates/bowls for Christmas this year. We've used Ikea everyday white for years but it's all gone horrid in the dishwasher and I'd like a change. It needs to be easily replaceable, fairly robust in nature and but not too thick/clumpy. I've seen the Gordon Ramsay Maze line in white and quite like that but have no clue where to start.......! Any recommendations happily received.

allinclusive Mon 13-Nov-17 09:24:21

I find Sainsbury's do really nice crockery. But if I had the s-ends then go to John Lewis xx

allinclusive Mon 13-Nov-17 09:24:32

Spends I meant

fussychica Mon 13-Nov-17 18:07:56

JL basic/everyday range is pretty good.

Katiedidit34 Mon 13-Nov-17 18:17:11

I have all white set, easily replaceable and classic. My set has bits from Tesco, Morrissons, John Lewis and M&S and Matalan so you have loads of options and styles to choose from.

JT05 Mon 13-Nov-17 18:18:48

I’ve always had Denby, you might think it too pottery like.
It does last forever!
DM had a huge set for 40 yrs. I have a 30 year old set. Holiday house has a 10 year old set. All still going strong!

Laska5772 Mon 13-Nov-17 18:21:25

I also have Denby Imperial Blue, have had it for years.. and you can replace and add to it ..

FoxtrotSkarloey Mon 13-Nov-17 18:25:59

We asked for the JL croft white range on our wedding list as we didn't want anything fancy, so it would be a good everyday option, but the quality is terrible. Avoid.

SoMuchToBits Mon 13-Nov-17 18:27:39

Another one with Denby here. I have the Greenwich, had it for 20 years and still love it. And in that time, I have only chipped/cracked 2 plates, the stuff is so sturdy!

JaneEyre70 Mon 13-Nov-17 18:46:19

Thank you, I will have a look on the Denby and JL sites. With teenagers in the house we need something to last.

fussychica Mon 13-Nov-17 19:25:41

Oh looks like the JL basic range might have changed since I bought it. Pics on site not that clear but looks a bit cheap now.

Laska5772 Mon 13-Nov-17 19:29:04

A fair bit of my Denby is 'seconds'..*Jane*. Still all good! Have a look online if you are near Gunwharf Quays they have a shop there .

wowfudge Mon 13-Nov-17 19:29:50

Buy porcelain rather than stoneware. It lasts much better, is far less likely to chip and is better in the microwave. I found Next china wasn't very robust. Marks & Spencer much better. Plus there are some china matching services which carry quite a bit of the M&S stuff should you need to replace anything or add to it over time.

MrsPeacockDidIt Tue 14-Nov-17 14:46:51

Another Denby fan here. We got it for our wedding 11 years ago and it’s still looks great after being used everyday.

applesandpears33 Wed 15-Nov-17 12:43:22

We were given Portmeirion stoneware 15 years ago - still going strong with daily use. Nothing has chipped, although we have broken a few plates/bowls (tins falling out of wall cupboards onto china below, I don't think anything would have survived).

If I was looking for something new I'd consider looking at catering companies. I worked in a commercial kitchen years ago and they used Steelite china. It seemed bomb proof.

TeaBelle Wed 15-Nov-17 12:45:30

We have the Sophie conran for portmerion set and I love it

mussinboots Wed 15-Nov-17 12:50:18

Got Corelle- American made but microwave, dishwasher and oven safe and chip resistant. And, it’s so, so light.

Richak Thu 16-Nov-17 10:38:18

Another vote for Portmerion.

SweetieBaby Thu 16-Nov-17 10:41:30

Another vote for Debby. Had Greenwich range for 18 years and counting. I think I've only chipped one bowl in all that time.

SweetieBaby Thu 16-Nov-17 10:42:09

For "Debby" read Denby!

WellTidy Thu 16-Nov-17 19:45:53

I like porcelain as I find it looks smarter and stays looking smart. For everyday, we have the maxim range from M&S. I love it, it is a huge range. They've been doing it for years but they have changed the shape slightly in the meantime. You can buy a set of four or individually. And they have 20% off from now until Sunday. Dinner plates are about £5 each before discount.

lolalotta Thu 16-Nov-17 19:46:55

Denby lasts forever!

Hmmalittlefishy Thu 16-Nov-17 19:47:59

Denby here too.
Really robust and some nice sets there too - from fancy to everyday.
They have a factory shop in Derbyshire

BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou Mon 20-Nov-17 21:01:35

I love my Denby and they have some great 'Black Friday' deals on the website at the moment.

idea888 Thu 23-Nov-17 18:25:02

I have Denby and some of the plates are really scratched, just by using normal knives (not steak knives or anything very sharp). We don't even eat the kind of food that needs knives more than once or twice a week, so I wouldn't recommend them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: