Talk

Advanced search

Do you wash your clothes after every wear?

(35 Posts)
Smarshian Sat 11-Nov-17 19:40:19

I usually get 2 wears out of an outfit unless obvious marks/ been doing something particularly sweaty etc. My DH will only wear his clothes once and DD usually goes through 2 outfits a day (she's 10.5 months and a very messy eater!)

I'm trying to reduce my washing but DH refuses to wear more than once as he thinks it's dirty. Is he right or am I? What do you do?

MsHarveySpecter Sat 11-Nov-17 19:45:04

Yes, washed after every wear with some exceptions like cardigans

BunnyFluffy Sat 11-Nov-17 19:48:06

Pants and socks and anything tight against my armpits (tight tops and dresses) are washed after each wear.

Jeans, jumpers (I wear a Tshirt underneath) washed after a few wears.

Bras after a couple of wears (unless it’s hot weather)

Sports wear washed after each wear

HoneyWheeler Sat 11-Nov-17 19:49:21

Nope - wash underwear after every wash but nothing else unless covered in food or smelly.

RaininSummer Sat 11-Nov-17 19:55:09

No. If I wear a top or dress for work then I will probably wear it at the weekend too before washing. I am really not that smelly and my job doesn't raise a sweat at all. Men are a bit smellier I think though so probably do need a clean shirt every day. Definitely everyday for undies though.

Bowerbird5 Sun 12-Nov-17 10:38:36

Underwear, socks and top/dress everyday. Leggings, trousers, skirt I try to get two days out of them if I can. Fleece about 3-5 days depending how often I've had it on ( like a cardi).

SpicyNoodles Sun 12-Nov-17 10:40:18

Yes, other than cardigans or blazers, which get a few wears until I feel like they need a wash/dry clean.

I never wear dresses, jeans, tops, trousers, leggings etc more than once, as I like the feeling of fresh, clean clothes.

Notreallyarsed Sun 12-Nov-17 10:40:43

Everything bar jeans and cardigans gets washed after every wear. The kids’ clothes need to be washed after every wear anyway, and DPs work gear (apart from his work trousers).

EcoCleaner Sun 12-Nov-17 10:44:28

It depends what it is. T-shirts, shirts, underwear and socks only get worn once. Jeans and jumpers last a lot longer

upsydaisies Sun 12-Nov-17 10:48:15

Socks, pants and vests etc (we count as underwear) all get washed after one wear. Things that have got dirty go straight in the wash but everything else gets a couple of days before it needs to go through the wash. My son and husband have three changes of clothes a day so I would be washing constantly if I didn’t have this rule. Bedding once a week, towels once a week (we have a few each so they get a couple of uses and then changed), coats only when they get dirty or we have been somewhere smelly.

If you wash everything all the time you’ll reduce the quality of them.

RoseAndRose Sun 12-Nov-17 10:51:42

I wash things when they are dirty.

So things that are in contact with crotches and armpits, and probably feet, I expect would be worn only once. Everything else and it's an 'it depends'

Fromage Sun 12-Nov-17 11:07:41

I wash everything after one wear, on 30 degrees/cold wash with eco powder so I'm not knackering the environment too much - I think my clothes are just a bit too stinky to get 2 days out of, though I've not often noticed ponginess in others who wash less than me.

My colleague washes EVERYTHING at 60 degrees with bio powder and Milton fluid and tons of really stinky fabric softener - even I think this is (soft but rather faded) madness.

Smarshian I think your dh needs to chip in with the laundry! Also, an old babygro on back to front makes a good bib. Just do up the top buttons at the back, and put an old teatowel over her legs if she won't flick it off. It's basically that or a massive smock when you have a baby who eats, well, expressively.

Kr1st1na Sun 12-Nov-17 11:12:36

I think it’s Normal for a toddler to go through 2-3 tops a day.

We all change underwear , socks and school shirts daily. Other clothes are only done when dirty .

Otherwise you are wasting a lot of water and energy and damaging your clothes .

The easiest way for you to reduce your washing is to let your DH do his own. I think you will find that he soon changes his ideas when he is the one washing and ironing a complete outfit each day .

poisonedbypen Sun 12-Nov-17 11:31:11

Jeans every time you wear them?? "I've had the same jeans on for 4 days now"

TrojansAreSmegheads Sun 12-Nov-17 11:42:16

yes. average of what? 7am to 9pm ish dressed? 14 hours in clothes and the dirt doesnt have to be visible to be a problem. 14 hours of sweat and skin cells is my limit. 😁 then i want them washing.

i dont wear jeans but if i did those i would wear more than once. anything else, nope.

clothes smell stale after one wear and i am VERY aware that you just dont smell yourself as others smell you 😁

stoneagemum Sun 12-Nov-17 11:42:32

Outer layers I apply the look and sniff technique, so a couple of wears. Skin layers one wear only

LIZS Sun 12-Nov-17 12:15:37

Direct close contact with skin , every wear. Trousers, sweaters, hoodies etc every few wears unless dirty.

ReinettePompadour Sun 12-Nov-17 12:23:18

Underwear washed after every use.

Jeans I will wear for 2 or 3 days before washing but I have dogs so they don't last longer than that. T-shirts or tops I wash after every wear but jumpers/hoodies I wash once a week if I've worn them every day.

DH - wears everything for weeks on end without even considering putting them in the wash. What he doesn't know is that I frequently grab his clothes, wash and dry them and put them back where he throws his clothes to be worn again. He weirdly thinks that he just doesn't get that dirty and he didn't believe me when I said I wash his clothes and put them back because they stink if I don't wash them. hmm

Smarshian Sun 12-Nov-17 20:49:43

To be fair to my DH he does do about half the washing. It's more that I want to reduce it for both of us. Maybe I just need a better system. I feel like I constantly have a full washing basket!

Ginslinger Sun 12-Nov-17 20:50:49

only underwear and possibly t-shirts

Abra1d Sun 12-Nov-17 20:51:16

I don’t wash mine every wear. We don’t live in an over-warm house and I don’t perspire much. Obviously pants and camisoles, vests, etc.

Freshprincess Sun 12-Nov-17 20:55:21

Underwear, nightwear and gym stuff. And school uniform for DCs.
Everything else is when dirty.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sun 12-Nov-17 20:57:38

Underwear, tights, leggings washed after every wear. Other clothes not unless they are smelly, stained or grubby.

dantdmistedious Sun 12-Nov-17 20:59:00

Underwear (not bras) and tights, gym stuff yes. Jeans can go a good few wears before they get washed.

Ttbb Sun 12-Nov-17 21:00:44

Yes, with the exception of outer wear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now