Advanced search

Bio vs non-bio washing powder

(24 Posts)
mtpaektu Sat 11-Nov-17 19:26:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dementedpixie Sat 11-Nov-17 20:25:45

I've always used bio. No skin issues

AnonEvent Sat 11-Nov-17 20:33:50

I personally prefer non bio as I find that bio makes my skin prickle - but I have very sensitive skin (eczema prone).

I was definitely allergic to bio as a kid (I remember wearing a long sleeved tshirt that has been washed in bio and I was left with a bright red, livid, tshirt shape on my skin from it). But I can’t be sure how much it’d really affect me now, the prickly feeling could easily be psychosomatic.

Bio supposedly cleans better, though, I often ponder using bio on my whites.

dementedpixie Sat 11-Nov-17 20:38:14

Non bio powder contains bleaches too just like bio powder (liquids don't have bleaches). Bio contains enzymes that break down food stains. A lot of the time issues are caused by perfumes rather than the enzymes.

AnonEvent Sat 11-Nov-17 20:40:00

This sounds very sensible ^

It’s highly plausible that as a kid I didn’t react to lovely, mild, Fairy. But did to highly perfumed Persil. Bio or otherwise.

thegoodnameshadgone Sat 11-Nov-17 20:58:55

Bio contains enzymes to remove stains. Non bio doesn’t. Both in powder forms contain bleach. Liquids don’t. I used to work for Persil.

thegoodnameshadgone Sat 11-Nov-17 20:59:27

Sorry same as what demetedpixie said.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 11-Nov-17 21:02:21

Bio all the way unless there's a skin allergy/irritation reason not to but that's probably not related to the enzymes as pp said.

Acopyofacopy Sat 11-Nov-17 21:05:05

Bio all the way. Non-bio is a big huge con!

EcoCleaner Sun 12-Nov-17 10:50:38

The enzymes in laundry detergents are not what causes a reaction. There’s actually no scientific evidence linking skin irritation and enzymes. It’s the heavy perfumes and scent chemicals they use that cause irritation.

In a lot of European counties, the US, Australia and South Africa non-Bio doesn’t exist. Sensitive detergents are available but they’re all scent free bio’s.

If you want to use bio but you’re worried about irritation, choose something like original Persil or Ariel and avoid heavy scented detergents like Surf or Bold. And you can use the extra rinse button on the washer too to rinse out more detergent.

The same applies for fabric conditioner too, avoid the scented stuff like infusions or whatever they’re called

babyinthacorner Sun 12-Nov-17 10:54:17

"Non-bio is a huge con!"
shock I did NOT know this!
MN teaches me something new every day!

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sun 12-Nov-17 10:54:44

Avoid fabric conditioner full stop. Horrible stuff.

spiney Sun 12-Nov-17 10:56:55

I heard on the radio that Bio is going to make your 40 c temp and bellow wash work better because of the enzymes and I generally wash at 40. And that the amount of people with a sensitivity reaction to Bio is a tiny tiny tiny fraction of the population.

Only buy cheapest non brand Bio powder now and our clothes are as clean as ever. And my kids are filthy sports playing grubs.

spiney Sun 12-Nov-17 10:58:06

And what Is fabric conditioner for anyway?

dementedpixie Sun 12-Nov-17 11:03:24

I like fabric conditioner and don't like the feel of clothes without it. I buy the white pure/ sensitive ones as I like the smell of them

Ethelswith Sun 12-Nov-17 11:20:44

I've just gone back to non-bio, as I found bio (two brands) was eating knickers. I assumed it was something to do with the enzymes, and it doesn't happen with non-bio.

e1y1 Sun 12-Nov-17 19:14:55

The U.K. is the only country that sells “non bio”, it was all down to the newspapers running a story and causing mass panic when Persil first launched biological detergent.

I used both (as I like the smell of some bios and also some non bios).

However, oddly, I’m 98% sure I have an intolerance to FAIRY non bio, so it must be the perfume of it. Which makes me think as PP said, it’s likely to be perfume not enzymes people are allergic to, (as enzymes are naturally occurring, we have them in our saliva and stomachs as they break down foods - this is how the bio stuff get food stains out of clothes)

Kion Sun 12-Nov-17 19:25:40

I always have both in. Non-bio for baby clothes and delicates and bio for underwear, towels and bedding etc. Or if the baby clothes have stains then bio for this too but an extra rinse function on the machine.

ourkidmolly Sun 12-Nov-17 21:45:51

Does biological not work at 60 and above or is that another myth?

dementedpixie Sun 12-Nov-17 21:49:26

Enzymes will get denatured at higher temperatures but the washing machine gets up to that temperature gradually so they still have time to work.

Squigget Sun 12-Nov-17 22:35:33

We only use non-bio.
Bio makes DTD1 itch like crazy and makes DH wheezy (although he categorically denies this is the case hmm)

PossumBottom Sun 12-Nov-17 22:42:20

I use cloth nappies. Non-bio is shit. If I had to use it now I'd wash everything at 60.

PossumBottom Sun 12-Nov-17 22:46:18

No, you can use bio at 60. The enzymes are extracted from bacteria that live in hot springs nowadays :-)

LoniceraJaponica Sun 12-Nov-17 22:49:11

Ariel bio for whites and light colours and Fairy non bio for colours and wool.

DD's eczema disappeared when I started using Ariel, and when I washed at higher temperatures.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: