Talk

Advanced search

Smart metres

(7 Posts)
gogglepod Sat 11-Nov-17 09:26:37

I was going to get one fitted but partner said they cause loads of problems and has friends that have had to pay to have them removed. Has anyone had bother with them?

dementedpixie Sat 11-Nov-17 10:40:02

There's another thread about them. I'm holding off until they stay smart if you switch suppliers as at the moment they revert back to dumb ones if you switch from your current supplier

dementedpixie Sat 11-Nov-17 10:42:00

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3082536-smart-meters-should-I-or-shouldnt-I

Vitalogy Sat 11-Nov-17 10:48:34

There's enough wifi pollution in the home already, we don't need anymore.

BackforGood Sat 11-Nov-17 11:09:16

The main issue has been that as and when you change suppliers, then the smart meter belongs to / works for one company only so you'd have to get it changed every year. they are tackling this problem, but I'm going to wait and let it bed in' for a while yet.

darkcloudlooming Fri 24-Nov-17 16:44:25

I was going to get these but my husband told me not to because of the WiFi it uses. It’s apparently not good for health to have all this WiFi going around the home. It may seem convenient but they are not good

MrsHathaway Mon 27-Nov-17 13:02:03

We've had them for a bit. Compulsory with PV cells (solar). For a while when our PVs were first fitted our old meter span backwards grin

Correct that they can't move with suppliers fucking stupid.

Because we're on a smart meter we can have a clever electricity tariff which saves us lots of money. Electricity costs different amounts at different times of day - like the old Economy 7 but cleverer. The most expensive time is weekdays 4-7pm so it means using the hob rather than the oven for making the tea during the week, and making sure to run the dishwasher/tumble/washing machine before or after that. Weekends are cheap anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now