Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please help me organise my pantry cupboard

(12 Posts)
glitterbiscuits Wed 08-Nov-17 18:03:08

I have no storage! But I do have a 4 shelf open plan cupboard behind the kitchen door. It’s here I keep lots of dried things like pasta, sultanas, oats etc. Everything in packets.
The shelves are not adjustable. I’ve tried baskets but they are not ideal. I can’t see what is in them and they are hard and heavy to get out of the shelves.

There must be a better organisation solution. I don’t mind spending some money.

The shelves are deep but not very high so nice big Kilner jars don’t fit.
I’m going to try to attach photos. I know it’s a slobby mess. I gave up trying to make it tidy as the cupboard is out of sight.

inmyshoos Wed 08-Nov-17 19:40:21

Clear plastic tubs? That way you can see more clearly what is in each container
Not as pretty as baskets but more practical.

SerendipityFelix Wed 08-Nov-17 19:48:23

I love Interdesign kitchen organisers, you can get them on Amazon, tonnes of different options very flexible and look pretty nice for clear plastic!

glitterbiscuits Wed 08-Nov-17 21:01:23

I hadn’t heard of interdesign. Thanks. The problem I have is lack of height for storage but the ones designed as fridge trays could be useful. I will have to measure

SnowBallsAreHere Wed 08-Nov-17 21:05:25

Lock n lock boxes or ikea a similar version. Shallow clear boxes that you can stack and label.
You really need a dymo labelling machine too wink

helpmum2003 Thu 09-Nov-17 13:42:01

www.lakeland.co.uk/24243/Fridge-Binz-Small?gclid=Cj0KCQiAlpDQBRDmARIsAAW6-DPhpjEwuBV37b2X63Pxf49_dA9b2oDZWZ5bxJ4d4VG_qDjjfFj8bMcaAr6SEALw_wcB&src=gfeed&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!105382025429!!!g!43455775342!&ef_id=V4ATMwAAAQGHjHU2:20171109134013:s

Lakeland fridge boxes? May be similar to ones mentioned above?

glitterbiscuits Thu 09-Nov-17 22:29:58

Ooh! Thanks. I had a Lakeland voucher somewhere. I may even get some for my fridge too

FrogFairy Fri 10-Nov-17 11:28:05

Could you post the measurements of the space?
Might help to suggest suitable storage, even something like a new washing up bowl would be easy to pull out and would hold quite a lot of packets/bags.

Pantah630 Fri 10-Nov-17 18:04:31

IKEA do small capacity killer type jars too so some of your packets could be decanted that way.

Pantah630 Fri 10-Nov-17 18:04:48

Kilner blush

SerendipityFelix Sat 11-Nov-17 05:53:23

Yes, the ikea jars are called “Korken”, the biggest one might be too tall - not sure from the photos -but it looks like the medium & small sizes would fit fine, I use them for all my dry bulk foods (pasta, grains, pulses, nuts, seeds, dried friuts, flour, sugar, all other miscellaneous powdered ingredients!) and think they look great. I’d decant all those packets of porridge, cereal etc that you can see in the second photo and try and work out what size of hopefully slim, long interdesign caddy they would fit in so you can pull the right one out and it’s easier to manage than one huge basket per shelf. The Lakeland ones are interdesign btw! Think they’re cheaper on amazon, but yay voucher.

Btw re-reading your OP this morning I noticed the giving up on tidy appearance because it’s out of sight thing. I’m hoping this doesn’t come across as telling you off! But I just wanted to say, for my own mental health, opening a cupboard and seeing it look good as well as be easy to use, just puts a little micro-lift in my day. So, I now motivate myself with that thought, knowing the positive effect it will have on my future mood is motivation to keep up with household stuff, because I can file it under ‘self care’ in my mind, rather than ‘chores’! Doesn’t always work obviously, but a lot of the time it does. My other motivation is watching cleaning/organising videos on YouTube (and then stealing the best ideas!)

glitterbiscuits Sat 11-Nov-17 14:17:16

There are organising videos?! That’s Saturday afternoon gone
The cupboard is behind a door that it always open so we don’t see it unless we have to get something out. So is easy to ignore. Things stated out in smaller kilner jars but they don’t hold enough and as the cupboard is deep made getting things from the back difficult, I just gave up.
There just too much stuff full stop. I live in the middle of nowhere and so I chronically over buy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now