Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DFS sofa

(9 Posts)
ColourfulOrangex Mon 06-Nov-17 13:31:09

I was wondering if anyone has a fabric sofa from dfs...I have one and they say to only have it professionally cleaned but I was wondering if anyone has put the cushion covers in the washing machine and for them to be fine?

They said something about a chemical being in them that would make it go funny...just not sure if it’s so they get more money lol

RiojaHaze Mon 06-Nov-17 13:34:45

Ours is from Sofology and they told us the same thing.

I'm pretty sure it's to do with the fire resistance of it - whatever they put on it will get ruined if you machine wash them?

HenryBiggleswade Mon 06-Nov-17 13:36:18

I have a fabric sofa from DFS with the same cleaning instructions and had been dithering for weeks on whether to wash them.

I did in the end and they came
Up beautifully! I washed them on a cool hand wash with moderate spin and put them back on the cushions to dry. They look brand new!

Whitecovers Mon 06-Nov-17 13:37:53

I've had two fabric sofas, one from dfs, one from next and have put both sets of covers in the wash with no problem.

ColourfulOrangex Mon 06-Nov-17 13:39:51

Thank you smile I just want to freshen them up a bit

Did you put fabric softener in or just washing powder?

wonkylegs Mon 06-Nov-17 14:32:04

My very expensive multiyork sofa said this but friend dropped coffee all over the cream cushion. I went it off for dry cleaning and it came back with the stain still on it so thought bugger it and washed it on the hand wash cycle in the machine with wool detergent & line dried .... it came out beautifully. It's now been washed a few times, as have the seat cushions and I've not had a problem.

Bluntness100 Mon 06-Nov-17 14:34:15

Yes the covers are treated with a fire resistant gel so washing them can make them go lumpy, as the gel congeals together but also it’s not fire resistant anymore.

You should get an upholstery cleaner in, they do carpets too, won’t cost much, twenty or thirty quid I imagine and better being safe than sorry.

jennymor123 Tue 07-Nov-17 12:16:26

Fabric sofas tend to be treated with a 'backcoating' of chemicals - flame retardants and mixers - which is pasted on to the underside of the fabric. There are many problems with this, not least that the stuff starts to wear off immediately, getting into house dust then our blood, causing all kinds of health problems, including cancer. If you wash these fabrics, you will of course wash away even more of the chemicals.

The great irony is that the government itself in 2014, backed up by Trading Standards' findings, proved that this particular flammability test fails in most cases anyway. Which means those chemicals are doing nothing but poisoning us.

Oh, and another trick many retailers use is to talk you into paying to have your sofa treated with stain-repellents. What they don't tell you is that these make your sofa highly flammable! So we're paying first for flame retardant chemicals that don't work, then paying again for more chemicals that make sofas flammable again!

BlondiBleach Fri 10-Nov-17 23:50:02

Washed our fabric DFS sofa covers on wool wash cycle in machine a couple of times. Put covers back on whilst still damp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now