Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Woollen jumper shrunk!

(11 Posts)
SpottyGecko Sun 05-Nov-17 21:05:22

Anyone know if you can un-shrink a shrunk jumper??

Accidentally got put on a normal hot wash. It’s now half the size it was :-(

Any advice gratefully received

Thanks

Justbookedasummmerholiday Sun 05-Nov-17 21:07:23

Xmas gift for a teen??

minipie Sun 05-Nov-17 21:07:31

Is it still wet? If so you might be able to expand it a bit by pulling it lots in all directions. But suspect won't be enough sorry. Basically you've made felt.

dudsville Sun 05-Nov-17 21:08:02

Charity jumper for a child?

outofmymind26 Sun 05-Nov-17 21:08:55

I haven't tried this, but I once heard if you put it in cool water with some softener you can re-stretch it out & then rinse & spin on a delicate cycle??

Hopefully someone will be along to give you some advice they actually knows works! But thought I'd put it out there in case anyone has tried this & it jogs their memory.

Goodluck!

SpottyGecko Sun 05-Nov-17 21:15:45

I’ll try that outofmymind it’s ruined anyway so if it doesn’t work I haven’t lost anything.

I nearly cried when I saw it.

I have actually turned it to felt sad

outofmymind26 Sun 05-Nov-17 21:38:27

Really hope it works for you. I only heard about it after ruining & binning two very expensive ones. Gutted I was. Fingers crossed for you 🤞

SpottyGecko Sun 05-Nov-17 22:16:25

Thank you 🙂

soupmaker Sun 05-Nov-17 22:26:53

To make you feel better. I once shoved all my wool jumpers and cardigans into the washing machine and forgot to put them on a wool wash. Felted the bloody lot.

Bowerbird5 Mon 06-Nov-17 05:58:26

How much wool content is there?

If it is pure wool or 90% wool I am afraid you are out of luck. If you want to salvage it then all you could do is put it in hot soapy water and manipulate it this will make it shrink and felt more. You can then cut it up and make it into a bag or a book cover.
If it is less than 60% wool you might be able to reshape it but only cold water and re shape it. I doubt you will be able to wear it but someone small.
I felt jumpers and make felt from wool tops.

SpottyGecko Mon 06-Nov-17 19:33:46

Makes me feel a bit better that I'm not the only one to have done this 😞

It's 90% wool. I think it's wrecked. It'd fit my 5yo...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now