Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fleas

(19 Posts)
OkyDoke Sat 04-Nov-17 21:48:56

I need some help. I can't keep on top of my house work. I am 9 weeks postpartum and we have an infestation of fleas. I'm trying my best to clean and hoover everyday but it hurts sad do any of you have any advice on how to get rid of fleas quickly? I fear the answer is no. Thank you!

LEMtheoriginal Sat 04-Nov-17 21:50:51

Indorex which you can buy from Pete at home. That will treat your house. Do you have cats or dogs?

LEMtheoriginal Sat 04-Nov-17 21:51:41

Erm I don't know if Pete does have any flea spray actually...

susiegrapevine Sat 04-Nov-17 21:52:59

You can get these like bug bomb type things you let off in the house and they get rid of them. You let them off but you have to stay out for a couple pf hours or so depending on which one you get. Why do you have fleas? If its because you have an animal you need to treat them. Best advice is to go to the vet the stuff off the shelf is not that brilliant. Also the vet will know what type of fleas they are. Our cat once had fox fleas so no amount of frontline would work. Still hoover as much as poss. Hard with a newborn i know. Flea infestations are horrid xxx

OkyDoke Sat 04-Nov-17 21:53:53

I indorexed the whole house last weekend and almost died after. But fresh bites over the last couple of days! Should I buy another can and try again?

Ninjakittysmells Sat 04-Nov-17 21:55:29

Bless Pete, people always come knocking on him for flea spray grin

Was just comingon to say Indorex and get flea stuff for the animals from the vet. I feel your pain as our cat had them last month and I fear they are back as she has started having a sneaky scratch. She doesn’t go out, so I must of missed some of the eggs sad

OkyDoke Sat 04-Nov-17 21:55:48

I guess I should have mentioned I have cats haha. I haven't slept in a while! Haven't heard of the bombs I will look them up! We have advantage from the vets for the cats, all been treated. I think know we missed one when baby was really brand new! Our own fault I think.

Orangebird69 Sat 04-Nov-17 21:56:40

What flea prevention do you use on your cat?

OkyDoke Sat 04-Nov-17 22:00:30

Orange it's called advantage?

JuneBalloon Sat 04-Nov-17 22:04:04

Indorex household spray is meant to be good... but it’s also REALLY important to rid your pets of their existing fleas. Firstly, get them treated. If using spot on, shave the area you apply it first to ensure contact with skin.... if it’s a dog, use the pill (bravecto) which is excellent. This will ensure that any fleas that feed off their blood will die. Comb them with a flea comb daily - a bit of a hassle, but worth it (and necessary! Fill a bowl with warm water and then put a dash of washing up liquid in (in this order so it doesn’t foam). Every time you get a flea in the comb, drown it in the washing up liquid solution.... it’s very satisfying! Then wipe the comb and carry on. Do this until you have at least 3 days without fleas/flea dirt.

It possibly all sounds quite overwhelming, especially being only 9 weeks post partum, but the sooner you act the better.... Those bastard fleas can lay 40+ eggs daily each! Can your DP help out??? If you stick to the routine you’ll be rid of the blighters in a couple of weeks.

kissmelittleass Sat 04-Nov-17 22:04:25

I had the buggers during the summer so you have my sympathy my poor dd was destroyed with the bites. We all have asthma so I didn't use any of the flea products but did get the cat treated and kept her out of the house until we were all clear. I cleared them by hoovering and hot washing all cushions, bedclothes and nightwear. It took about 10 days I hoovered every second day and hot washed the above twice a week. A lot of hard work but it worked.

viccat Sat 04-Nov-17 22:04:45

There's another spray called Flee which is chemical free and works by coating them in silicone so it stops their movement and kills them that way.

It's out of stock in most places but I just ordered some from MedicAnimal and got it this week. Been dealing with the same after a foster cat brought in fleas with her. That and Advocate on cats seems to have sorted it, along with regular hoovering to catch any flea eggs and larvae.

Jayfee Sat 04-Nov-17 22:07:19

We were told by the council pest controller to put flea powder between the cracks of our wooden flooring, leave it down for a wee, then hoover it up. This in addition to treating pet and bedding.

kissmelittleass Sat 04-Nov-17 22:08:40

Forgot to add I combed the cat through every couple of days too when she let me! Usually after being fed was a good time!

JuneBalloon Sat 04-Nov-17 22:11:05

I use bravecto spot on for my cats - unfortunately no pill available for the felines. Had a flea infestation a few years back with the dreaded frontline. Never again!!! That said, recently got a new kitten who came with fleas. But the washing up liquid method (and treating the kitty) worked a treat.

OkyDoke Sat 04-Nov-17 22:11:17

Last weekend I gathered a very item of material from the house and hot washed and tumble dried it. There were 8 full bin bags. The cat blankets etc have not been done yet but are in garage. The bed they use is going in bin. They tend to sleep in conservatory at back of house but are shut in there over night... and have been since I started trying get to get rid of them. The couch in there is worst I think.

Really need to up the hoovering and combing. Obviously have been doing both but could do more. Haven't seen a live one on them at all... they're all on me! I even used nit shampoo the other day.

mrsdolittle Sat 04-Nov-17 22:21:58

We had a flea infestation years ago. No pets at the time but moved into a new house and the fleas were waiting for us! Eventually got the Council pest control people in. They sprayed the carpets with insecticide. Took about a week to work then job done. Obviously was a cost involved (can’t remember how much but not a huge amount) but it was worth it.

OkyDoke Sat 04-Nov-17 22:25:18

I think I'm leaning towards getting good someone in. I got a couple of quotes today for £95 and £100. I was hoping to do it myself but I'm losing hope!

kissmelittleass Sat 04-Nov-17 22:35:48

Agree with throwing the cats bed out I did along with any blankets the cat used.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now