Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

**Trigger warning: Mould-phobics look away now

(8 Posts)
slutandslattern Sat 04-Nov-17 14:49:08

Housekeeping, we have a problem! See attached photo.

Black streaks on clothes wouldn’t go despite 60/90 degree washes, 90 degree self-clean, cleaning out the drawer and seal, etc. We use non bio liquid (bio makes eczema worse for three of us). I took the drawer out to double check there wasn’t mould at the back.

There was. A lot. Not on the drawer but in the slot that the drawer goes into.

I put the drawer back and am trying to pretend I didn’t see it. DH is now armed with old toothbrush and mildew removal spray.

Any other tips for cleaning the slot?
And most importantly how do we stop this happening?
MN search seems to suggest that no matter whether you use the drawer or not it will happen.

Pouffealouffe Sat 04-Nov-17 14:52:42

Do you leave the drawer open when not in use? That helps to stop the damp building up. I do a service wash every now and then with the Dettol washing machine cleaner - not sure if that would work...

Fekko Sat 04-Nov-17 14:54:35

I take the drawer out and scrub yet then stick it in the dishwasher. The machine is just elbow grease and loads of kitchen roll. What a horrible job! I'm steeling myself to clean my oven...

TracyBeakerSoYeah Sat 04-Nov-17 14:56:01

It's the build up of washing liquid. Liquid detergent is notorious for causing mould in washing machines.
You need to either start using non bio washing powder or at least use powder sometimes.
Or as my DMil does clean the dispenser every few washes, when she uses liquid.

Vitalogy Sat 04-Nov-17 15:01:37

I thought you'd been taking pictures of my washing machine.

slutandslattern Sat 04-Nov-17 20:41:51

Thanks all - we have followed all advice here! We (that is, DH) used elbow grease, kitchen roll, old toothbrush, mildew remover, soaked the drawer and scrubbed it, and ran a service wash with a Milton tablet in the drawer and zoFlora in the fabric conditioner compartment. We will try to leave the drawer open as well as the main door after washes. Will now look for skin-friendly washing powders!

wowfudge Sun 05-Nov-17 00:24:09

It's often the perfume rather than the enzymes in the powder which irritate skin. Most supermarket own brands are less heavily scented than the well know brands.

TracyBeakerSoYeah Sun 05-Nov-17 17:47:10

Nice one S&S.
Fairy is supposed to be good for delicate skin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now