Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stinky Bosch fridge. Advice, please...

(10 Posts)
Aureservoir Fri 03-Nov-17 22:56:00

Ok. For the past week or so, there has been a smell in the kitchen. It has become gradually worse. I can only describe it as a rotting nappy smell (though a visitor described it as smelling like her cat-litter tray). After a process of elimination, endless bleaching of floors and surfaces etc, the DC and I have decided it is coming from the back of the fridge (we have pulled all the appliances out, to make sure there's nothing dying or decaying underneath or behind them). The only thing I can see at the back of the fridge is a sort of black gizmo, with a plastic thing on top; this plastic thing looks pretty claggy. However, I can't see how to get it off. Any advice, please? It's a 13-year-old Bosch under-counter freestanding fridge in otherwise good order (the inside of it was fine even before I got at it with Milton)...

ilovewelshrarebit123 Fri 03-Nov-17 23:14:04

Look inside the fridge, at the back there should be a drainage type hole with maybe a thin plastic plug type thing.

I'd hedge my bets that is where the smell is coming from, I'd get some anti bac spray down there and have a dig around with cotton buds.

wowfudge Sat 04-Nov-17 08:04:59

Find the manual online if you don't still have it - should have instructions on how to remove and clean everything. Also pull the fridge out if possible as there could well be something under it.

Aureservoir Sat 04-Nov-17 17:18:28

Thanks. The stink is definitely coming from the sort of drip tray thing at the back (which won't come off). I have poked around with a screwdriver wrapped in a dishcloth, and a load more stink has come out. It smells as if someone has thrown up at the back of the fridge - I could smell it even thought I was holding a doubled-up tea-towel to my nose. The manual has no reference to the back workings!

Aureservoir Sat 04-Nov-17 17:19:04

PS Wowfudge - I have pulled it right out, but there's nothing underneath. Bleurgh.

Bowerbird5 Sat 04-Nov-17 19:07:37

I once had a problem with our fridge also Bosch.
I used paper towel to soak up all the smelly water and cleaned all inside of fridge ( it is cleaned weekly) put a little disinfectant in the drip hole. The fridge was quite full don't know if this caused the problem. It hasn't happened since.

Crashbangwhatausername Sat 04-Nov-17 20:54:57

Our old fridge was like this - bought some reusable straws off amazon which came with a ‘straw cleaner’ I used the straw cleaner for cleaning the ‘hole’was beyond disgusting and had nothing to clean straws with after but the smell was considerably better

Almostthere15 Sat 04-Nov-17 20:59:14

We sometimes have this. Try spraying some anti bac in the hole, and give a wiggle around with raw spaghetti. Just keep doing this and eventually it'll clear. To prevent it try and make sure nothing is touching the back of the fridge

wowfudge Sun 05-Nov-17 00:20:52

There should be a way of taking it off - there will probably be clips holding it in place. Failing that, clean it as best you can in situ, bicarb will help neutralise the smell and kill bacteria.

Aureservoir Mon 06-Nov-17 15:26:28

Thank you, fridge experts. I had wondered what you would do with a straw, so am just grateful it doesn’t involve sucking up gunge.

I will try all of the above. It is getting worse!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now