Talk

Advanced search

Regretting the Zanussi washing machine I just boughtou

(37 Posts)
AnaWinter Fri 03-Nov-17 18:46:14

I received delivery of my new Zanussi Lindo 500 washing machine today. I told the sales assistant that speed was the most important thing for me. A 40 degree wash takes nearly 3 hours. It has a quick button which reduces it to 2 hours but what the hell? My 6 year old machine was quicker and I only changed it as I thought a newer machine would be quicker. Any one have one? Am I missing something?

TizzyDongue Fri 03-Nov-17 18:47:15

Isn't there a 30 min cycle?

PickAChew Fri 03-Nov-17 18:48:30

They're all slow,now. It's how they get their A ratings.

TizzyDongue Fri 03-Nov-17 18:49:31

I got a zanussi about 6 years ago. Was quite taken aback by the long cycle (plus the sales man full on lied to me about it conversing water)

I like it now though

Maudlinmaud Fri 03-Nov-17 18:51:22

On the digital screen you will see the timings for each wash. The daily quick cycle takes under 40 min at 30 deg.

AnaWinter Fri 03-Nov-17 18:55:18

Thanks all. There is a 30 @ 30 minute cycle which I used for a light wash. It was fine but they came out soaking. I need a 40 degree wash for towels, sheets, dirty clothes and I don’t want to wait 2 hours.

Dexywexy Fri 03-Nov-17 18:58:04

I have got the zanussi Lindo 1000 washer dryer. I felt the same as you when I first got it but have got used to it now. There is a 30 minutes wash at 30 degrees. The quickest I have found in the other settings is 1 hour for a 40 degree wash on the delicate setting but I usually use the economy setting and it takes just under two hours. My old zanussi washer dryer was much quicker but I am used to the new one now and I do like it.

TizzyDongue Fri 03-Nov-17 19:00:33

I've an super quick option which reduces the standard cycle to an hour min (hotter quick washes as shorter) and an economy option that makes the standard cycle even longer!!

TweeBee Fri 03-Nov-17 19:03:31

Hi,
Ours isn't a zanussi but recently got a new one and the time taken varies slightly depending on how much is in there - it weighs the washing and then tells you how long it will take.
Also it depends on the program - we have one for delicate skin which I think has an extra spin or something as clothes are meant to come out drier and that always takes longer.
So, might it be quicker with a smaller load? Or different cycle?

AnaWinter Fri 03-Nov-17 19:12:10

Thanks all flowers. I am not feeling quite so disappointed now. I will fiddle around with the settings a bit more.

Dexywexy Fri 03-Nov-17 19:29:15

Hopefully you will get used to it.

wheresmyphone Fri 03-Nov-17 19:34:16

Don't take this the wrong way but do make sure you read the manual. There may be ways to speed things up and also you may find a 30 min wash is enough. BUT if after 3 days it's still not what you expected speak to the place you bought it. They may be able to do something.

SloanePeterson Fri 03-Nov-17 19:36:55

I'm sure this is the one we have. Just use the quick option all the time, reduces it to about 1.40

SloanePeterson Fri 03-Nov-17 19:38:13

Just to add, I find the 30 at 30 wash a total false economy as it always needs an extra spin

JohnLapsleyParlabane Fri 03-Nov-17 19:41:11

I have this machine. I hate it and wish I'd sent it back.

IndianaMoleWoman Fri 03-Nov-17 19:46:56

Does it beep at you? Our Zanussi washer, dryer, oven and dishwasher all beep angrily at you every time they complete a task, like a sullen teenager finally doing that chore they were asked to do three days ago really noisily just so you know they’ve done it and you can stop nagging them about it, for fucks sake. When we move we will be leaving all the appliances.

EcoCleaner Sat 04-Nov-17 12:03:30

Modern washing machines all take a lot longer than older ones. It’s the way manufacturers get round energy ratings. Less water & larger capacity - there has to be a compromise and it’s usually time. I think you’d have this issue with and new washer.

Using the quick option cuts out a rinse, so be wary of using that when washing the kids stuff.

Also try washing sheets and towels on 60. On my washer, the 60 wash is shorter than the 40 as the hotter water increases the wash performance.

YesThisIsMe Sat 04-Nov-17 12:06:44

An extra top speed spin on my machine (not a Zanussi but still) takes 13 minutes so if you add that to a 30 minute cycle you’re still ahead of the game.

SnowBallsAreHere Sat 04-Nov-17 12:10:06

All modern machines are slower to save water. Seems ridiculous, but we had a John Lewis dishwasher that had an eco setting that took 2 1/2 hours. I can’t see how using that much electricity is eco in any way at all, but it uses less water so apparently it qualifies.

MerryMarigold Sat 04-Nov-17 12:11:17

Yes, my 40 deg is about 3hrs 35 on Hotpoint. However, there's loads of other options. I often use the Bath/ bedding option and reduce the heat from 60 to 40, reduce the spin from 1400 to 1200 (just because I prefer my clothes not to have the life spun out of them!) and it makes it 1hr something. There is also a 1hour wash which is 60 deg, but you can reduce to the temp/ spin you want.

neveradullmoment99 Sat 04-Nov-17 12:14:00

The quickest cycle i have on my bosch is 15 mins. Its fab for freshening up. However I am so dissapointed with the dryer. I had an old zanussi which had increments of 10 minutes for drying clothes. It was great. On my new washer dryer it has an hour and thats it. Sometimes i just want to dry a few things off. Its annoying. Its swings and roundabouts. What you gain with one machine, you lose with another. It is annoying!

Bubblysqueak Sat 04-Nov-17 12:16:26

I have a bosch washer dryer that does a 40 wash in an hour and 5 min. It will wash and dry In 3.5 hours . I love it!

JollyCat Sat 04-Nov-17 12:18:13

I have an Indesit, I do a 40c wash and it takes 2 hours. I tend to set it on the timer overnight, it comes on at 4am and is finished at 6am for when I get up. I then just shove everything on airers to dry.

EcoCleaner Sat 04-Nov-17 15:03:34

SnowBallsAreHere the motor in the washing machine and dishwasher uses barely any electricity at all. It’s the heat element that guzzles electric. The quicker the wash time, the less time the heater has to bring the water to temp so it has to work harder and use more electric. Eco cycles use less water and also heat low and slow so use a lot less electric.

A lot of people think quick wash is a better way of conserving energy but actually it’s the other way around.

HamSandWitches Sat 04-Nov-17 15:13:33

That would be no good for me

Mines got a quick 15 min wash
A 60 min 60 degree daily wash but you can change the temperature to 40 30 or 20.
Then loads of others like 2 cotton washes, sports wash, Shirt wash, wool wash which I don't use

I only ever use the 60 min one and change the temp depending what's going in

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: