Talk

Advanced search

Getting rid of black mould spots on window blinds?

(10 Posts)
Gingefringe Fri 03-Nov-17 08:35:10

I was horrified to discover black mould spots on the outside of my lovely material window blinds - I think it's where the blind has been touching the window where there was some condensation.
Any tips on getting rid of these? I've not tried anything yet.

Buddyelf Fri 03-Nov-17 08:39:11

We've had some black mould in our bathroom. We moved in a little while ago and we still have the really old bathroom in (think mustard tiles!). It's prone to black mould. I got cilit bang black mould remover - it was £2 from home bargains I think and it was a miracle worker. Spray, leave for 5 mins and rinse.

Gingefringe Fri 03-Nov-17 17:17:26

Thanks Buddy - I'm not sure if Cilit Bang is suitable for material though?

LadyinCement Fri 03-Nov-17 17:18:51

Marking place as I have the same problem. I only noticed it when I was looking through the windows from outside. Like you, OP, it is where the blinds touch the glass.

fussychica Sat 04-Nov-17 15:58:27

Marking place as I have this on one of my blinds in the conservatory.

Katescurios Sat 04-Nov-17 16:01:54

Its not likely you'll be able to remove it. You can clean the blinds to remove any smell and current mould but the marks will leave stains. If the blinds are white you could bleach them but if not then stain removers may fade the spots a little.

Other option would be to dye them a different darker colour.

Wormulonian Sun 05-Nov-17 10:52:35

I never can get rid of all the mould stains. You could try using a cotton bud dipped in diluted bleach if the material is white. I have found that successful for small spot cleaning. I have also had some success with Ace laundry bleach for coloured clothes.

In future you will have some work making sure every morning in winter that you wipe up any condensation on the window. Open the window first thing (even if it makes the heating come on - all to the good) to let some air in for 1/2 hour - hour if you can. That should help with the condensation causing mould.

TreacleFarl Sun 05-Nov-17 11:51:29

I put mine in the bath with hot water (though if sealed with glue they'll come undone at the bottom if water is too hot) and mix in a bit of fairy clothes detergent. Leave them for a bit then give the stains a scrub. It removes most of the staining and lightens up really bad patches.

It's such a pain, my last house was full of damp and I had to clean them all the time. Hope the stains lift for you OP.

jellyshoeswithdiamonds Mon 06-Nov-17 11:00:10

What material are your blinds made of?

With my blackout roller blinds I use a microfibre cloth (tesco cheapest ones) and Astonish mold and mildrew spray. Spray it on cloth and rub off spots.
Doesn’t stain the colour side of the blind.

Gingefringe Tue 07-Nov-17 22:22:06

Thanks everyone - I had thought of using the Ace laundry bleach so will give that a go and also the Astonish spray. The spots are on the lining which is cream.
I've also started to get rid of the condensation each morning with my Kercher window vac which works wonder and gets rid of it all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now