Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What to do with old eiderdowns?

(11 Posts)
ConstanceSpry Wed 01-Nov-17 08:05:22

Clearing out my grandmother's house and have found a fair few old fashioned eiderdowns. They are in good condition but need washing and are pretty ancient. I certainly don't want, need or have space for them. Recycling centres say no duvets, which I guess includes things like eiderdowns.

What can I do with them?

Undercoverbanana Wed 01-Nov-17 08:06:36

Animal shelters will take them.

BikeRunSki Wed 01-Nov-17 08:07:59

YY to animal shelters.

EllieThornton Wed 01-Nov-17 08:08:28

I spread my old duvets on top of the loft insulation, so they can continue to keep me warm!

SloanePeterson Wed 01-Nov-17 08:09:47

Don't give them to animal shelters! Put them on eBay, they sell for a fortune!

ConstanceSpry Wed 01-Nov-17 08:17:33

Ellie, I love that idea but I live in a new house and it's so well insulated that if I put any more in we'd spontaneously combust!!

Really? People still buy them? They would need a good clean and I'm not at all sure how on earth to do that!

SloanePeterson Wed 01-Nov-17 11:14:07

I've sold them on eBay before, they wash really well in a normal cycle, then tumble dry with a couple of tennis balls to fluff them up. They're beautiful things so people do still buy them x

Rascallsall Sat 04-Nov-17 02:43:37

I paid well over £100 for this beauty on Esty. If your eiderdowns are too big for your washing machine, take them to a laundrette where there will be larger machines. Wash and dry them in a duvet cover for protection.

Mishmishmish Sat 04-Nov-17 06:33:17

Awww these remind me of my late grandmothers house. She has beautiful ones with a pale gold silk fabric, they were forever sliding off the bed!

Undercoverbanana Sat 04-Nov-17 12:21:03

Other posters saying don't give to animal shelters. (I have but there might be different rules in different places.). I've also noticed a lot more rough sleepers this winter - I'm sure they would appreciate extra layers instead.

daisydalrymple Sun 05-Nov-17 19:59:14

Our local community centre collects them to give out to the homeless. I only found out by taking some donations there for the food bank. You may have similar near you or I think the Salvation Army can also take them to give to those who really need them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now