Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does everyone have a Dumping Ground?

(11 Posts)
PricillaQueenOfTheDesert Mon 30-Oct-17 11:58:41

I dump everything in our downstairs toilet. It currently houses the vacuum, mop &bucket, some Halloween buckets from last year, a huge box of shoes, a nerf gun, cat food, bags for life, ironing board, a box full of seeds for the garden, the dogs dinosaur toy at about 2 foot tall and the dog died in March but I just can’t bring myself to chuck his favourite toy.
My daughter has a huge cupboard where she keeps pretty much the same plus her large freezer and the dogs beds and she calls it the cupboard of doom. Does every house have a cupboard of doom and if you are more organised where do you keep all your crap?
I’d love my downstairs bathroom to be a welcoming little haven for guests but new build houses just don’t have any storage for everyday junk like vacuum cleaners etc. This is basically all the junk that would be in the understairs cupboard if we had one, how do you manage?

MrsOverTheRoad Mon 30-Oct-17 12:00:48

We have "the sun room" which is actually just a closed in, long porch affair.

It leads to the laundry...another dumping ground.

Hoover, mop and bucket, a million shoes....an unused mattress...I tidy it now and then but otherwise it's a tip!

gamerchick Mon 30-Oct-17 12:09:16

2 drawers are the dumping ground. Big cupboards are organised. Every now and then I’ll haul them out and reorganise to locate stuff that’s just been dumped.

If everything has a home then it’s a lot easier to keep right. If something is no longer needed, take it to the tip/sell/charity shop sooner rather than later.

EvilCleverDog Mon 30-Oct-17 12:12:08

Under the stairs. It’s open, but has a curtain that I can close to hide it.

My teens bedrooms have been dumping grounds since I gave up trying to get them to keep them tidy.

wobblywonderwoman Mon 30-Oct-17 12:12:12

Yep. We have a utility room and there is a cupboard off that. Going to sort it today. Also reguarly go through drawers but there have filled up again. Jigsaws, DVDs I think a pair of slippers and random crap.

LookAtAllTheBullshit Mon 30-Oct-17 12:13:06

As my house has zero storage, even the loft is useless as the roof design is where you have those timber supports that eat into all space, now my children are getting older it would seem my whole house is the dumping ground.

MargoLovebutter Mon 30-Oct-17 12:15:16

No, I don't have the room anymore. Everything has to have a place of its own, otherwise it is just clutter.

buckeejit Mon 30-Oct-17 12:17:13

Even though I keep making storage areas it feels like everywhere is a dumping ground! Today I’m deciding where the camping stuff should live-maybe in the small Under stairs space.

Heading towards a place for everything and everything in it’s place is the key I think

MargoLovebutter Mon 30-Oct-17 12:50:29

buckeejit it really is!

There is something really liberating about not have a shit tonne of crap dumped somewhere. I used to have a garage, where all the shite lived and when I moved to a smaller place with only one cupboard, other than the kitchen, I had a ruthless de-clutter. Sold every bit of crap I could on ebay or in car boot sales AND got a small skip!!!!!

I'm brutal now, everything has to go somewhere or else leave the premises!

Agerbilatemycardigan Mon 30-Oct-17 12:52:27

Yup - my whole flat 😃

FluffyMcCloud Mon 30-Oct-17 15:46:37

The Room of Doom! It used to be a drawer of doom blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now