Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tumble dryers

(6 Posts)
RaspberryPi1 Sun 29-Oct-17 17:31:05

After a heat pump tumble dryer. Happy to spend up to 750, which makes are recommended/avoided? Currently have AEG, Bosch and Samsung on the shortlist.

wheresmyphone Sun 29-Oct-17 21:44:43

Do not get Mielie one. Takes forever but also tumble drys in one direction only. That means stuff gets VERY knotted, so you have to stop it every 15 mins, unknot and start again. Sheets and duvet scan take 3 hourssad

sharemyname Mon 30-Oct-17 10:23:43

I got a zanussi one, was around £450 and I love it. Dries much quicker than I expected and is cheap to run

RaspberryPi1 Mon 30-Oct-17 22:01:04

Will take a look. Any thoughts about a heat pump vs a standard condenser?

wheresmyphone Mon 30-Oct-17 23:47:13

Two different animals. Condenser is non-plumbed in so you need to
empty the reservoir where the water collects. It's easy unless you have limited mobility or no sink nearby.

If condensation/damp is an issue then check out the WHICH magazines charts. They rank condensers on how much moisture they put into the air. My Meile has v v low moisture emission which was important for me as mine is in our basement. Some condensers are awful for adding moisture into the air. WHICH give them a % score for emissions. If it's in a garage it doesn't matter. All depends where you put it.

A heat pump condenser also is not plumbed in, and it drys clothes using a different method (something about recycling energy or something). Much much cheaper to run. Which is why people get them: saves you money. All heat pumps will take longer as they do not use intensive energy to heat up in same way as a non heat pump one. Some take a lot longer than others (e.g. My Miele!). I hate it! To
achieve a triple AAA energy rating Melie made it so that the drum only rotates in one direction. That's unusual for most modern machines. It means big items get very knotted. As I mentioned above it means you have to keep stopping it, unknot then start again. Takes ages to dry big items. Do you research. John Lewis people were rubbish: its worth reading reviews e.g. WHICH. If you have a family washing is a big part of life!

blodynmawr Wed 01-Nov-17 18:20:50

We've had this Bosch Heat Pump for about 6 months as it was a Which Best Buy. It is great, dries quickly and the fluff catcher is much easier to clean than my old Bosh Condenser. Family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teens) here and I would say I dry 2-3 loads per week in it on average, as try to dry outside as much as possible.
It sits on a shelf above the washing machine and we could have connected to the outflow pipe (there is a kit included) to save emptying the drawer but haven't got around to that yet....
HTH smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now