Talk

Advanced search

Dumb question about "bagged" hoovers (Henry)

(13 Posts)
NoNamesLeft86 Sun 29-Oct-17 05:14:07

Right in the 10+ years since leaving my parents house ive always had baggless hoovers - dysons and roomba mainly.

Ive just spilt with my ex and moved into a semi furnished rented house which came with a henry hoover.

I've litrally no clue what to do with it emptying wise. Do you replace the bags every time it gets filled? Or do you somehow empty the bags? Mine will fill several times a week i imagine as I have 2 dogs and young children and we tend to empty our dyson most days.

Im probably being thick here but i cant see the benefits of the bag? If you replace them each time surely thats so wasteful and expensive? If you empty it them surely thats a huge faff and messy?

I might be being totally thick and missing the point entirely. blush

fucksakefay Sun 29-Oct-17 05:24:40

Bagged hoovers don't need emptying anything like as much as dysons as they kind of compress the dust. I Hoover most days and bags need changing once a month ish. Yes you buy new bags and chuck old

NoNamesLeft86 Sun 29-Oct-17 05:28:52

Ah I see. Thanks. Not sure weather to keep the henry or get rid. Not got much money so seems silly to replace something that functions. But equally dont want to hate hoovering even more than I do already

MongerTruffle Sun 29-Oct-17 05:29:35

There's a comparison here.

donajimena Sun 29-Oct-17 05:31:01

You can use a Henry bagless if you prefer. I buy the cheap biodegradable ones though (paper) its better for the machine to use a bag.

EcoCleaner Sun 29-Oct-17 18:09:06

I prefer bagged vacuums, they’re nowhere near as messy to empty and no filthy filters to wash. If you’ve no pets, the Henry bags will last you for months. You’ll get maybe 2-3 months out of 1 bag. They’re some of the biggest bags you can get and cheap to buy too.

Fianceechickie Sun 29-Oct-17 18:15:06

Please don’t get rid! I love mine best hoover ever and I’ve had numerous bagless ones including Dyson. Bags for Henry are cheap as chips and changing it is so easy and clean compared with banging a chamber to get rid of all the dust, taking bits out and banging them, getting dust on yourself, putting it all back together still looking dirty. With Henry yo don’t even see let alone come into contact with the filth. They’re also really robust and cope much better with stuff like pine needles at Christmas and building dust if you’re ever having work done. I’d never go back to s Dyson. Oh and they’re a third of the price.

NoNamesLeft86 Tue 07-Nov-17 12:31:41

Thanks all..i will stick with it for now and see how I go. We do have pets - 2 dogs and 2 guinea pigs so there is lots of mess and hair to clean up - one of the dogs is a huge long haired fluffball like a giant teddy bear.

I do dream of a shark cordless or a gtech airram.

I think its storing Henry that I am resenting. So bulky and always in the way.

Zoesweet Wed 08-Nov-17 11:09:44

Me too. I prefer bag vacuums as it's less messy and easy to trash out the dust after use, not to mention that the bags are cheap.

DancingOnParsnips Wed 08-Nov-17 19:05:03

I'd keep the Henry. We use one for our fluffball dogs too - hairy great beasts. It has survived building work and the dust that made, hoovering up damp mud - I really recommend it.

I only empty once every two or three months (but only use it downstairs). It has way more suck than the new Dysons that I tried recently.

Davros Thu 09-Nov-17 18:04:08

And I famously use my Henry to hoover the patio! He’s a workhorse

WipsGlitter Thu 09-Nov-17 18:17:08

I use Henry without a bag...

flobella Tue 14-Nov-17 11:59:52

As someone has already said, the Henry is a workhorse and will last you years.

To empty it, you just pull his head off, take the filter out, pull the bag out, fit a brand new bag and chuck the old one in the wheelie bin. I personally find it easier to empty a bagged vacuum than a bagless one - with my old Dyson etc, I used to find that dirt would often get wedged in parts of the cylinder and I'd have to reach in to dislodge it. Rank.

I change the bag about once a month and the bags are easily found on Amazon, and not too pricey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now