Talk

Advanced search

Duvets...Super king/king?

(19 Posts)
BeerBaby Fri 27-Oct-17 05:59:56

We have a king bed, superking duvet. Problem is I can't get reasonably priced decent quality duvet covers. They are all £50+ or bobble within weeks. I've tried online, tk maxx but they've all been rubbish.

Because of this I'm considering downsizing so we can make use of supermarket offers and have more choices at prices we can afford.

Anyone else done this? Will I regret it? Is there really that much difference between the two sizes?

Battleax Fri 27-Oct-17 06:02:45

IMO duvet one size larger than the bed is the only way to go because you need the overhang to keep it in place and draught-free, especially if the bed has two occupants.

Have you tried John Lewis sale?

IlPorcupinoNilSodomyEst Fri 27-Oct-17 12:43:53

Dunelm are good, I get our sk size there. We have sk size bed as well as we are not duvet hogs so can't advise on the larger size thing. Sounds like a good idea though, snuggly!

Orangebird69 Fri 27-Oct-17 12:48:10

La Redoute do some lovely super king duvet covers - not cheap but they often have sales on. They've currently got a 40% off everything offer on!

chloechloe Fri 27-Oct-17 13:20:28

We have a super king bed (high boxspring) with a king size duvet! I don't like it when the duvet hangs really far down, however neither of us are duvet hoggers so it works.

I always buy from the White Company sale, with around 40-60% off. Sign up for their newsletter and you'll be alerted to the sales. I know they are still expensive but they will last and work out cheaper than replacing poorer quality ones regularly.

emwithme Fri 27-Oct-17 13:26:31

We have a superking bed and a double duvet each. It means no arguing over who's got more, and DH can have the super-light one all year while I have my giant fat one in the winter.

idea888 Fri 27-Oct-17 15:59:33

I've had 2 superking duvet covers from M&S for 4 or 5 years and they are still ok - not bobbly at all.

BeerBaby Fri 27-Oct-17 20:37:04

Thank you for all your suggestions! I'll take a look before downsizing.

NapQueen Fri 27-Oct-17 20:37:34

Ikea?

WhereBeThatBlackbirdTo Fri 27-Oct-17 20:39:07

MandCo covers in their half-price sale are pretty good. I think ours were about £35 each for super king

Rolypolybabies Fri 27-Oct-17 20:41:27

Marks and Spencer sale always seem to have them! Have got two sets in the last year for under £20

silkpyjamasallday Fri 27-Oct-17 20:46:11

I got some supposedly 1000 thread count superking bedding sets on eBay, they are fab quality and really soft and have washed well. I don't buy that they are actually 1000 thread count but they are thick and good quality. It was £58 for a fitted sheet, duvet cover and two pillowcases.

blodynmawr Fri 27-Oct-17 21:42:03

Good quality reduced price bedding here if you don't mind past season designs.
I also like Joules bedding (in the Sales) as it is very good quality 100% cotton that does not bobble. My pet hate is the buttons/poopers coming off after the first wash and the Jules buttons really stay put.

flyingpigsinclover Fri 27-Oct-17 21:47:11

Wilko cotton ones don't bobble, neither do Argos. We've had them three years and wash them on 90.

ftw Fri 27-Oct-17 21:57:28

We downsized for the same reason - have a throw over the bottom to deal with draughts!

northlondonlassie Fri 27-Oct-17 22:10:05

Stick to pure cotton and you can wash them as hot as you like and they won’t bobble. Spend a bit extra for a high thread count and they’ll last forever. I use (and hot-wash) pillowcases from the 1940s and 50s that belonged to my great-grandmother!

MaggieFS Fri 27-Oct-17 22:11:37

My now DH bought some queen size covers & duvet for his standard double before we lived together because he wanted a bigger duvet and didn't know queen was bigger than king hmm. We still have them as potential spares but I hate the extra faff washing and drying, which is a mystery of life how they are SO much bigger than the king size beds we have, so don't tend to use them. Anyway, they came from Amazon and are perfectly fine quality if you want that size. I have no probs with enough KS duvet on a KS bed.

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Fri 27-Oct-17 22:14:03

I've done our superking bed in this range and it really washes well, doesn't need ironing either.
www.bedeckhome.com/bedeck-1951-ziba-bedding-navy.html#

armaghda Sat 28-Oct-17 16:09:00

Try SoakandSleep.com

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: