Advanced search

What is this thing? Photo inside.

(10 Posts)
Snuffalo Tue 24-Oct-17 15:58:42

This is on the second floor landing of our new house - I'm obviously going to throw it away because it's naff but I'd like to know what problem it's trying to solve.

It's about a foot long, full of liquid (not a gel), has some fabricky sheet things lining the lid, and doesn't smell of anything though it may have been there for a long time so who knows if it was meant to in the past. I'm assuming it's either an air freshener that's lost its scent or some kind of dehumidifying thing?

Kenworthington Tue 24-Oct-17 16:01:43

It’s a kind of dehumidifier/ it will absorb moisture from the air

frenchfancy Tue 24-Oct-17 16:05:55

The fabric sheet things would have been filled with dehumidifying crystals which pull the water from the air. If it is there then you probably have a damp issue there.

Auntpetunia2015 Tue 24-Oct-17 16:10:41

It's a damp collector. if it's full of water you have damp somewhere in that area.

TheChristmasFaery Tue 24-Oct-17 16:18:54

It's s damp trap.

TheChristmasFaery Tue 24-Oct-17 16:19:12

A damp trap.

ShowOfHands Tue 24-Oct-17 16:20:35

Yep. Your house has a damp problem.

wowfudge Tue 24-Oct-17 19:25:42

Someone might have stuck it there because they spilled something or had to clean something up and didn't want to just leave you with a damp patch on the carpet. Fingers crossed.

onlyonaTuesday Tue 24-Oct-17 23:42:06

Definitely a damp trap

jellycat Tue 24-Oct-17 23:53:21

The liquid can irritate the skin so be careful when you tip it away.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: