Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got an iron that doesn't squirt out brown goop?

(18 Posts)
Mysharonawoana Sat 21-Oct-17 15:02:06

My iron shits itself on clean clothes. It’s a good few years old now and I’ve decided to replace it. Does anyone have an iron that doesn’t have this problem and is able to control its bowels? Can you recommend a brand?

Ohwell14 Sat 21-Oct-17 15:05:08

My iron constantly shits itself and it is only two months old. It also appears to have dandruff as it covers my clothes in white powdery stuff.
Not helpful but even new ones seems to do it. So I'm placemarking

eurochick Sat 21-Oct-17 15:05:42

It probably just needs descaling. It has nothing to do with brand.

Madreputa Sat 21-Oct-17 15:05:49

You have to descale it on a regular basis, depending on how often you use it. Modern steam irons have a descale button.

SpotAGuillemot Sat 21-Oct-17 15:05:50

I've not found one yet. I live in a hard water area and always assumed it's to do with that. I have an old pillow case that I let it shit itself on, then start the proper ironing once it seems done. It never is though and ds's school shorts are always covered in little bits of iron shit. Doesn't seem to come out in the wash either.

Oblomov17 Sat 21-Oct-17 15:17:02

I regularly de-scale, but it still does it. Drives me wild.

silentpool Sat 21-Oct-17 15:22:29

Try using bottled water?

Callmecordelia Sat 21-Oct-17 15:23:52

I use de ionised water from Halfords to get around this problem.

Callmecordelia Sat 21-Oct-17 15:25:11

This stuff - www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/battery-chargers-jump-starters/halfords-battery-top-up-water-5l

Ahardmanisgoodtofind Sat 21-Oct-17 15:26:28

I've got a Philips powerlife and it's fab. Once week I use the little descaling button and make sure it's empty before putting away. No marks or anything so far.

Time40 Sat 21-Oct-17 15:34:24

Descale regularly, and use bottled water. It will never make brown marks again.

OrangeSunset Sat 21-Oct-17 21:26:15

Also don’t leave the water in it between irons. My DH does that then it shits everywhere when I try to use it. No water, no shit.

thenewaveragebear1983 Sat 21-Oct-17 21:33:26

Mine doesn't, but then I don't use water in mine, I use a spray bottle. His bowels are empty, so to speak.

bettytaghetti Sat 21-Oct-17 21:49:17

I had a very intelligent iron. It knew to spew out the brown stuff if I was ironing something white and the dandruff stuff if I was ironing something dark. Genius.
Even with my new iron which I always empty & regularly de-scale, it still can’t be trusted, so I always test it on a piece of kitchen towel at the beginning of the ironing. It’s a bloody expensive Philips steam generator fwiw.

TheVanguardSix Sat 21-Oct-17 21:51:55

Mine did this too after one month! Make sure it's absolutely empty before storing it away. This solves the problem.

FlukeSkyeRunner Sun 22-Oct-17 08:14:50

Mine never does this - it use deionised ironing water.

WeAllHaveWings Sun 22-Oct-17 12:19:25

Never had this problem as we are in Scotland so are l lucky to have soft water. Sounds like you need am iron to deal with your water quality or buy water for ironing. Would water from a filter water jug work?

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Mon 23-Oct-17 07:27:20

Because of this I never use steam any more. I keep one of those spray bottles you use to mist plants etc., and just spray anything that needs it, which is most of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now