Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stinky dish cloths

(43 Posts)
bigfishlittlefishtupperwarebox Tue 17-Oct-17 16:33:19

How do you stop them smelling awful?? Bleach? Change them every day? Am I missing a trick?

Chasingsquirrels Tue 17-Oct-17 16:35:34

Wring out fully - never leave them soggy.
Wash regularly - I tend to use for no more than 2 days.
Hot or boil wash - I don't do this so I have smelly clothes!

Chasingsquirrels Tue 17-Oct-17 16:36:13

-clothes- cloths

Chasingsquirrels Tue 17-Oct-17 16:36:23

-clothes- cloths

WinnerWinnerChickenDinner0 Tue 17-Oct-17 16:41:52

Yep.
Hot hot hot wash. All towels in a hot wash with bio powder

I fill the sink with hot soapy water to rinse the cloths and clean the kitchen tops every morning. Then ring them out and hang over the kitchen taps to dry

PickAChew Tue 17-Oct-17 16:46:15

I wash them.

FinallyHere Tue 17-Oct-17 17:08:52

Put 'em in the dishwasher on the hottest wash, seems to disinfect OK.
Run this wash every day.
Sorted.

Im sure i read this on MN, 's brilliant.

Bluntness100 Tue 17-Oct-17 17:10:44

I shove mine in the washing machine, sometimes on their own with that towels or whatever , often with other clothes, they get washed regularly and seldom to never get smelly.

2014newme Tue 17-Oct-17 17:12:04

I wash them on a hot wash but I bin every cloth I use in the bathroom. Plus change every day in kitchen. They never smell!

Ollivander84 Tue 17-Oct-17 17:15:32

Wash regularly and hang to dry. I use sponges but sometimes put a drop of zoflora on them (and then rinse out before using again)

bigfishlittlefishtupperwarebox Tue 17-Oct-17 19:05:55

I’ll try the hot wash - I rarely wash anything over 40 these days so will stick all the towels on that next time. I do change them every 3 days but they still stink by the time they get washed and still come out smelly!

EnidNextDoor Tue 17-Oct-17 19:11:05

Towels should be at 60 too, every wash.

reallybadidea Tue 17-Oct-17 19:12:52

I use j-cloths and just bin them when they get stinky.

SpinnerDryer Tue 17-Oct-17 19:14:51

I use J-Cloths, Tesco value ones. I put them in the machine on 40 & they come out like new.

They are about £1 a pack & last me months and months.

BertieBotts Tue 17-Oct-17 19:15:39

Change often. Always wash on 60 or higher (I used to do 90, we use disposable now) and never use fabric softener. Normal detergent and if you do want to add something, some white vinegar.

DearTeddyRobinson Tue 17-Oct-17 19:16:31

I soak them in bleachy water every couple of days. Wring them out properly every time you use them. Bin regularly, they're cheap!

LittleNoSleep Tue 17-Oct-17 19:16:46

I use a j cloth and bin every few days. I douse in anti bac and then pour boiling water at least once a day. Seems to stop any smells.

BertieBotts Tue 17-Oct-17 19:17:27

Think about this - if they are smelly, they are habouring bacteria which you're then using to wash your dishes or wipe down your surfaces. Yuck.

Change preferably after any heavy use.

Chestervase1 Tue 17-Oct-17 19:18:37

Just get rid they are pennies. I have a theory that it is dirty cloths in kitchens that are responsible for most food poisoning

NoParticularPattern Tue 17-Oct-17 19:22:38

I change mine every day- sometimes twice a day if they’ve had lots of grease to deal with or are looking particularly grubby. I always run a sink of super hot soapy water whenever I am using them so they get a good scalding that way. They get chucked in the machine with the tea towels etc at the end of the day on a 60 wash with bio powder and also some dettol laundry cleanser. If they were really grubby or still smelling I might soak them overnight in a weak bleach solution but I don’t often need to. Often non bio powder does the job just as well if I’ve run out of bio.

dudsville Thu 19-Oct-17 08:17:48

I have 3 on rotation. Every day or two I put one in the wash, just on 30. One is drying and the other is in use. Wringing them out is a must. They will develop bacteria and smell if they're sodden.

lucydogz Thu 19-Oct-17 08:26:37

Rinse out and microwave them. that's what my sister who's a health inspector does

Ropsleybunny Thu 19-Oct-17 08:29:53

I hate dish cloths. I use the disposable J Cloth ones. It's the only way.

Newtssuitcase Thu 19-Oct-17 08:30:02

Its a bit sad that people are just chucking them away when they get dirty.

I have a lot since I rip up old fabric if the item is too manky for the charity shop (T shirts are the best) but then they go in with the wash at the end of each day. Every couple of days if we've not used them much.

RoganJosh Thu 19-Oct-17 08:31:20

Drape it over the tap. They need to dry out or bacteria can grow, which is what you're smelling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now