Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone got any huge time saving tips they learnt for cleaning their home?

(23 Posts)
duckduckmouse Tue 17-Oct-17 12:27:22

My house is tidied every day and cleaned nearly 3 times a week, sheets changed once a week....but

I spend nearly the entire afternoon cleaning!! I don't usually tidy the kitchen before bed (I know)
I used to tidy it when my son was tiny but now I'm quite tired at the end of the day and so leave it until the next morning. I also always have loads of laundry to fold which I don't put away when it is dry until i need a basket back blush

We have black wooden floors so I spend time keeping them clean with a swifter thing and method wood cleaner...
Has anyone got any tips for me 🤣

niceandspicey Tue 17-Oct-17 12:30:13

How old are your DC?

No real tips but following

Oh learnt from MN- do bathrooms during bath time

duckduckmouse Tue 17-Oct-17 12:33:44

Love the bathroom tip!! That's a good one. I actually shower with my son, yes that's right, no showering alone any more!

My husband does help but the house descends into a shit heap after 2 hours of us all being at home...

My son is 18 months.

I am beside myself chasing him off from the dishwasher while I try to unload it etc 😝

duckduckmouse Tue 17-Oct-17 12:34:27

Loving life

Cakescakescakes Tue 17-Oct-17 12:36:50

Never leave a room empty handed. There are always things that need to go somewhere else.

duckduckmouse Tue 17-Oct-17 12:37:06

Yes like my husband and son in the bin

BrutusMcDogface Tue 17-Oct-17 12:40:21

I reckon your standards are much higher than mine quite high.

How much time do you spend out of the house with your little one? As, when you're out he can't make a mess! grin

JuniUmiZoomi Tue 17-Oct-17 12:44:47

When I've had people coming I've literally strapped my DD into the car, done the last bits then gone out until just before our guests arrived!
My house is a total shithole but going out as much as possible helps stop a lot of the kid related mess in the first place.

The dry washing-putting away is the bane of my fucking life. I only manage to do it when I say to myself 'I am putting this washing away NOW and I will not stop until it's one'. Putting on some good tunes helps but I just hate doing it!

duckduckmouse Tue 17-Oct-17 12:46:08

He goes to nursery 😆 5 days a week in the afternoon.
I was very ill and couldn't chase after him, but now I'm doing a lot better I plan for him to go 2 or 3 afternoons a week in the next two weeks or so (whatever the notice is)
I have really high standards I can't lie blush we do tend to make the mess in the evenings though as we are usually out with friends or seeing family in the morning.. it's the stuff sprawled over all the fucking surfaces which is killing me. I like the house to look like I have visitors coming

duckduckmouse Tue 17-Oct-17 12:46:48

I need that machine which folds clothes 😝

KarateKitten Tue 17-Oct-17 12:51:41

Keep wipes handy in every room. Not totally environmentally friendly but you have the right tool on hand when you see a spill or a mushed in chunk of banana or a seriously dusty patch or a muddy footprint. Saves me so much time trying to find something to clean all the many tiny gross things kids leave in their wake.

AdaColeman Tue 17-Oct-17 12:54:35

If you don't already have one, get an extra vacuum cleaner so you can keep one on each floor of the house.

Dry washing such as tops on hangers, so quick to put them away.

Get a nice basket for each main room, during the day, throw odds and ends into it to keep the room tidy, at the end of the day, put away the stuff in the basket.

Keep a supply of cleaning materials upstairs ready to use, no trailing up and down for items.

LunchBoxPolice Tue 17-Oct-17 19:34:33

Ooh nice kitchen op.
Thanks for this thread I need it.

duckduckmouse Tue 17-Oct-17 19:54:09

My only trick is to not have a child or husband grin

ArcheryAnnie Tue 17-Oct-17 20:00:46

Lower your standards - honestly. When you are on your deathbed you won't ever wish you'd done more cleaning.

Josieannathe2nd Tue 17-Oct-17 20:02:07

Have an empty cupboard or basket in each room and then put all the random stuff in them so the surfaces are clean. That makes me happy as everywhere looks tidy, even when it isn’t. Then another time I goo through the baskets (& mainly bin it!) but If I spent all my time tidying I’d never clean... once the kids are higher I plan on them having a basket each for their room and once a fortnight going through it.

Oh, I only clean my house once a fortnight unless there’s visible dirt...or MIL visiting.

drspouse Tue 17-Oct-17 20:02:54

I don't really understand this whole "folding clothes" thing. Seems to be quite a chore for US householders but for us, it's a pain taking them out of the washing machine and hanging up, and it's a pain putting them away, but folding them happens at the same time as putting them away. So it's the putting them away that's a pain.

dementedma Tue 17-Oct-17 20:05:15

Please dont use wipes for everything. They end up on our beaches and shores. Seriously, just do less. A bit of dust wont kill anyone.

duckduckmouse Tue 17-Oct-17 20:14:16

@ArcheryAnnie
After being on my death bed, several times, you are correct that I didn't wish I did more cleaning. I never treasured my stuff, I treasure and will always treasure my experiences.
I was robbed of any dignity, independence- therefore now, I am so glad I can do things for myself.

ArcheryAnnie Tue 17-Oct-17 20:18:14

I am very pleased to hear that you've recovered, @duckduckmouse !

I try and keep my flat tidyish and cleanish, but often I look at the sparkling bathroom, and it doesn't give me any real satisfaction, just the depressing notion that I will have to clean it again and again into the future. I will clean what I need to, but I'd always rather have a bit of mess and more time with my friends and my son.

niceandspicey Wed 18-Oct-17 07:51:14

Ironing in front of the telly!
I recently discovered this makes it a real treat - I do it when dd is at nursery & dh at nursery.
We have some items that HAVE to be ironing though I keep them to an absolute minimum.
I like the cleaning the house every fortnight tip— there’s probably no need for me to do it any more but I feel like I should!

niceandspicey Wed 18-Oct-17 12:40:59

*DH goes to Work not nursery

Ha!

Puffpaw Wed 18-Oct-17 12:44:28

Robot Hoover every day, revolutionary! Goes on while I tidy up for 30mins, no more big cleans.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now