Talk

Advanced search

Stinky pits on clothes.

(21 Posts)
RavenLG Mon 09-Oct-17 16:25:57

Following on from the soap / shower gel thread I read in style & beauty, just wondering if any MNers have any tips on how to get rid of stinky pits on clothes.

DP has a physical job and his pits often stink. But have noticed frequently his casual clothes have a pong too. He showers daily, uses shower gel (recently converted to soap, we will see what that effect has) and uses cream / stick or roll on anti-persprant (sp?). Often his t-shirts have a residue build up on the pits (they are old, hes a shopfitter so there is no point buying new clothes as they get painted / glued / ripped etc.).

Any tips on how to stop them being stinky. Obviously aside throwing them out (which I would do but he's a hoarder got a mend and make do attitude.

Also I've noticed some of my work dresses have started doing it to (but they aren't natural materials so I'm assuming this is the case).

donajimena Mon 09-Oct-17 16:28:04

I've heard that white vinegar solution can help. Spray on underarms. Soak liberally then wash immediately with bio powder

Guiltypleasures001 Mon 09-Oct-17 16:42:03

My dh used to use cream antiperspirant and it would set like concrete under the arms of the shirt, it didn't work very well for him either. It also wouldn't wash out properly, eventually staining the shirts a horrible yellowish colour, think it was a lynx stick

He solved it by keeping under arm hair trimmed right back, and a spray deodorant

ReluctantlyRedundant101 Mon 09-Oct-17 19:33:33

Yes you can get a white vinegar spray in Home Bargains for less than £1. Give the armpits a spray before washing

WaitrosePigeon Mon 09-Oct-17 19:40:18

Higher heat wash works for me.

Ohyesiam Mon 09-Oct-17 19:44:42

I've never tried it, but my gran told me that two aspirin dissolved in a bucket of water make an effective soak for sweat y clothes.

Her tip about putting steredent down a stained loo is good, so you never know!

Ineedmorelemonpledge Mon 09-Oct-17 19:48:44

My DP gets this in the summer too.

I use a block of laundry soap and scrub the armpits then leave to soak in warm water overnight. Then I just chuck them in a hot wash the next morning.

I use Marseille soap but and traditional brand would work.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Mon 09-Oct-17 20:13:38

Dr Beckman do a deodorising wash that does wonders for a particular synthetic running top that stinks up quickly.

Vintagebeads Mon 09-Oct-17 20:15:59

Yy to white vinegar spray,its the best for dh uniforms and I wash it on 50 degrees due to the state of the uniforms.

ScrubbyGarden Mon 09-Oct-17 21:57:24

Someone on here recommended pouring mouthwash on the offending fabric before chucking it in the wash. It sorted out a persistently whiffy polycotton shirt of mine the other day, to my surprise!

wineandworkout Mon 09-Oct-17 22:00:03

Use half a cup of white vinegar in place of fabric softener in the washing machine. Has the benefit of keeping the machine clean too!

squiz81 Tue 10-Oct-17 15:01:36

If you can bear the wastage, neat vodka sprayed on the offending area works a treat!

FrogFairy Tue 10-Oct-17 16:21:44

I spray the pits of my clothes with white vinegar or diluted Zoflora and leave it to sit for while before washing. There are also products such as Dettol laundry detergent or sports wash that you could try.

Bekabeech Tue 10-Oct-17 16:27:57

I find white Vinegar works, I use it on DCs(teens) clothes when they are whiffy after the first wash, then rewash and it usually works.

dementedpixie Tue 10-Oct-17 16:28:34

I found a Dr Beckmann spray that's for deodorant stains/armpit smells. I also add zoflora to the fabric softener bit of the machine

RavenLG Tue 10-Oct-17 16:59:31

Thanks for the tips everyone. I've tried vinegar before and it didn't seem to have much of an effect but may give it another go. I'll get my domestic goddess on at the weekend! Thanks all!

thefemaleJoshLyman Tue 10-Oct-17 19:23:33

Vodka works for me blush I don't like it so have been using up bottle from the drinks cupboard. It does stop the smells!

MadisonMontgomery Tue 10-Oct-17 20:09:01

I tried Zoflora on a towel that smelt mouldy - tried everything else and that was the only thing that shifted it.

pandorawithtreaclecolouredhair Wed 11-Oct-17 16:19:29

Are you using enough detergent, especially if you have a large capacity machine?
Follow the manufacturer's directions on the pack; I use two Persil capsules in my wash.

user21 Wed 11-Oct-17 16:21:41

Use Halo sports wash

JoJoSM2 Wed 11-Oct-17 21:20:21

I found that on shorter/lighter washes. Not a problem if I put the shirts through a proper wash. If proper washes don't work, then more detergent, better detergent, or a better washing machine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now