Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Two washing machines?

(20 Posts)
hlr1987 Sat 07-Oct-17 17:16:13

We currently have a brilliant John Lewis washer dryer that we've had for two years with no issues (beyond a long cycle time- it takes 8hrs to do a full wash and dry). Moving to new home with a utility room and two spaces for washing appliances. Do I- invest in a second washer dryer so I can do four loads in one day, or invest in a separate dryer so I can do more washes?

Generally people seem to hate washer dryers but I've not had any issues beyond the sheer time it takes to do a wash load and I love being able to put it from wash to dry without emptying it.
How long does it take people to do a load start to finish with separate appliances?

EmmaGrundyForPM Sat 07-Oct-17 17:23:40

separate dryer for me. I currently have 4 towels in the tumble dryer, they took 1 hour in the washing machine and will take about 1 hour 20 minutes in the dryer.

Usually tumble dryers have got a much bigger capacity than a washer dryer. I can dry a full load of bedding in about an hour in our dryer. When I had a washer/dryer I could wash it in one go but then had to split it into half to dry.

FATEdestiny Sat 07-Oct-17 17:24:09

I would love two washers.

We are a family of 6, lots of washing. The AAA wash cycles on my washer take between 3h-3h30, with quicker cycles that have lower spin speeds. It's an 8kg washer and 1 load in the washer takes about 1h in our seperate tumble dryer.

Therefore if I had two washing machines, I could do two tumble dryer cycles in the time it takes to do 1 washer cycle. For example:
- 9am wash in 1st washer
- 9am wash in 2nd washer
- 12pm both washers finish
- 12-1pm 1st load tumble dried
- 1-2pm 2nd load tumble dried.

So I could (if I had two washers) do 16kg of washing all done in 5-6 hours. Which would be awesome!

PickAChew Sat 07-Oct-17 17:28:29

A separate dryer makes a massive difference. I went from being able to wash and dry 2 loads between 9am and midnight to having that much done and dusted by teatime.

The separate dryer is much gentler on clothes, too.

CiderwithBuda Sat 07-Oct-17 17:32:41

Separate dryer. It will be so much quicker. From what I remember of having a washer/dryer I had to split the load in two to dry or only do half a load. Very inefficient.

As an aside I currently have a JL dryer - it's six years old - but wouldn't get one again. No major issues just that sometimes it decides things are dry when they aren't and even on timer it stops when it decides things are dry! Drives me mad.

Twinkie1 Sat 07-Oct-17 17:32:53

Separate washer and dryer no contest. The time and energy a washer/dryer used to dry stuff is ridiculous. Why would you want to use 8 hours worth of electricity for 1 load of laundry?

hlr1987 Sat 07-Oct-17 17:57:52

If people had to choose between getting an extra washing machine and an extra dryer, what would they go for? I'm inclined to keep hold of the washer dryer until it falls apart, so it would be an additional appliance-what would be more useful?
It normally takes me doing a wash a day while I'm at work, and then two a day on the weekend- we have lots of laundry between kids and pets.

AdalindSchade Sat 07-Oct-17 17:59:48

Why do you need to do 4 loads a day?
If time is short then buy a dryer and use the washer dryer until it breaks. Then you can take half your washing out to dry separately and it will all dry in half the time.

PickAChew Sat 07-Oct-17 18:32:46

The extra dryer would be far more useful.

And my John Lewis one is great. The problems the pp experienced are typical of any condensing dryer when it needs a good clean out.

I put a full load of heavy cotton stuff in the washer when I got home at 5, this afternoon. The washer should be finished by just after 7 and the whole lot will be dry by 9. If I could be arsed, I could have another load in the washer while that one is drying and then dry by bedtime.

PickAChew Sat 07-Oct-17 18:33:45

And I just use my washer dryer as a washer, these days.

CiderwithBuda Sat 07-Oct-17 18:34:51

Really PickaChew? I'll give that a try. Probably haven't done that for a long time.

KatharinaRosalie Sat 07-Oct-17 18:34:53

Separate dryer. I can do my entire week's laundry ion 8 hours, that's way too long for just one load.

isthistoonosy Sat 07-Oct-17 18:37:54

Do you really need to do nine loads a week, every week?
We brought a great very large drying rack fits two loads and drys overnight. Havent used the dryer in years.

trinitybleu Sat 07-Oct-17 18:43:42

2 washer dryers. I have this and it's amazing. All the bedding done and dry in one go, one machine doing the towels and the other doing the trunks/cossies when you've been swimming, or half as many trips downstairs with regular washing. It's the future!

Chloe1984 Mon 09-Oct-17 10:28:04

8 hours for a load of washing seems crazy, what other functions does it have that makes you think it’s brilliant?

notacooldad Mon 09-Oct-17 10:38:05

8 hours for one load!!!
Christ on a bike!

emsyj37 Mon 09-Oct-17 10:42:04

Following this with interest - We are currently buying a house that has integrated appliances (so washing machine and dryer are included) but we already have our own washer and dryer - I am contemplating a little utility area in the garage.
Quick question for those with condenser dryers - how do you clean it out??? Mine needs it for sure but I am clueless!!

Pibplob Tue 10-Oct-17 16:04:28

I'd buy a dryer and then when the washer / dryer broke I would replace with a washer.

Justabadwife Tue 10-Oct-17 20:20:42

I'd get a dryer!
What's the running cost of having the washing machine on for 8hours a day? I know my washer dryer used to take 9 hours to do a load of towels and hotpoint were out every 4 weeks to it. 🤔
You could do about 4 loads a day with a washer and a dryer. (On days you are at home 😊😊)
I want a dryer 😔 x

hlr1987 Tue 10-Oct-17 21:04:13

Admittedly the 8 hours is for the longest, heaviest cotton setting! (Towels/white bedding). I still have the option of quick washes, and synthetic washes etc go a bit quicker thankfully. I really like that I don't have to unload between the wash and drying stage, so there's no wet washing sitting around if I forget to unload it quickly. No idea about the costs, we went for the most energy efficient one we could find, which is probably why it takes longer (bizarrely). It's great for fitting washes around work, but makes a dedicated laundry day difficult- I have to plan ahead if I know I need to do an extra bedding wash for guests, or wash the sofa covers, but I suspect most people do unless they have an airing cupboard filled with spares. Pros and cons. Glad the consensus appears to be a dryer, thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now