Talk

Advanced search

oak dining table

(5 Posts)
Dopolis Fri 06-Oct-17 21:42:47

Im considering buying a solid oak dining table. However we have a 3 year old boy and a five year old girl. Does this kind of table suit toddlers since we like to do a lot of crafts using paint, crayons , felt tips etc.... While we would plan to use a table cloth if there were any marks from felt tips etc... would it come off easily? or is there a better type of table that is more toddler friendly?

Blackandpurple Sat 07-Oct-17 13:12:32

I have one. Seats 10 but not used for kidfy things, but my friend has an exact one and she's a childminder. Covers it with oilcloth. Works well!

chloechloe Mon 09-Oct-17 12:03:37

Anything that's water soluble should come off easily. But the big issue is water marks from glasses etc being put directly on the table. Many people aren't bothered by this as they think it adds to the charm, but I can't bear them!!!! We have a nut wood table and I'm forever policing it and transferring things onto coasters!

John Lewis do great waterproof tablecloths which look like normal tablecloths which would be great for doing crafts as you just wipe them down. I have one for when the in laws come as they insist on placing everything directly on the table. I admit I am very OCD in this respect!

wowfudge Mon 09-Oct-17 12:12:42

You can get table protectors to fit the table top and they are worth the money. We used to use the rosewood dining table at home for arts and crafts and the protector stayed on with old newspaper and/or a dustsheet over the top. The table is perfect to this day.

Ifailed Mon 09-Oct-17 12:24:46

Completely off topic, but a relevant warning. If it comes with the legs detached and you have to bolt them on, do not try to right it by rotating about two of the legs (I hope you get what I mean), but get help and pick it up, then right it. Snapped two legs off a brand new table like this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now