Talk

Advanced search

Freshening up manky looking grout

(8 Posts)
BasinHaircut Fri 06-Oct-17 08:45:36

I inherited a bathroom with mosaic tiles a couple of years ago so there is LOADS of grout). The grout was lovely and white when we moved in but after 2 years of belonging to us it’s looking a bit shabby (I wish I knew how the previous owner kept it looking so fresh), so I’m wondering how to brighten it up. —with minimal effort—

emsyj37 Fri 06-Oct-17 10:45:16

Bleach. Get a bottle of mould and mildew remover (which is basically diluted bleach) and spray liberally then leave for an hour and rinse off.

StatueInTheSky Fri 06-Oct-17 10:50:17

yup, bleach....I get the thick clingy stuff...trickle it down the tiles, scrub it a bit with a brush I never fantasise about using dh's toothbrush if he has been difficult and then leave it there until I have my shower later.

I mistimed it last time I did it....and ds2 needed to shower before me, but he really scrubbed those badboy mosaics. I may try that again.

BasinHaircut Fri 06-Oct-17 11:31:52

Ohh yes I remember using that mould and mildew stuff before (the astonish one) and it’s good! I will get some more tomorrow when I pass the pound shop and get spraying.

Thank you.

FauxFox Fri 06-Oct-17 11:41:22

Or make a paste out of bleach and bicarbonate of soda and smear that all over it, leave for an hour or so and rinse off - great results, minimal scrubbing required grin

IToldYouIWasFreaky Fri 06-Oct-17 11:50:19

Don't bother with anything but that Astonish stuff. It's amazing stuff! Bleachier than bleach. I have tried the bicarb/bleach thing on my grout as well as grout whitening pens and all kinds of stuff but the thing that works best (as well as being minimal effort, and cheap) is squirting a bit of Astonish on, leaving it for an hour or so and rinsing off. No scrubbing required. It's also brilliant on my white shower curtain.

BasinHaircut Fri 06-Oct-17 11:50:23

faux I would need a shed load though, bloody mosaic tiles! Whoever thought they were a good idea?

I cannot wait to get a new bathroom, although will be a few years yet unfortunately.

JoJoSM2 Fri 06-Oct-17 14:00:22

If it's a build up of yellowy limescale, then try a limescale remover. There's also such a thing as grout reviver (B & Q or Homebase should have it).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now