Talk

Advanced search

Smelly sofa

(15 Posts)
Maplestaple Fri 06-Oct-17 08:31:38

Please someone help me, for the last few days there's been an awful smell from my sofa. It smells like rotten meat. It's so bad. I've moved the sofa and hoovered underneath and thought as there were a few crumbs and some manky sweets it must be that.

I used zaflora and sprayed it all over the sofa and carpet. It's made no difference.

There's something dead in my sofa isn't there?

It's a fabric recliner and worse when their recliner is open.

MrsMotherHen Fri 06-Oct-17 08:33:59

yep something is dead in there by the sounds of it. Slice the back open then sew back together ( use circular sewing needle.)

Ifailed Fri 06-Oct-17 08:35:33

turn it over to see if there is any holes in the bottom, use a torch to see if you can see anything?

Thishatisnotmine Fri 06-Oct-17 08:41:14

Do you have dc? Any chance one could have dropped some food and it has soaked in? Not told you about it?

On a lighter note, at least you can fix the problem. My sofa has absorbed years of my husband's farts. Next year we are definitely getting a new one! And he will be required to sit in a plank of wood or something.

Maplestaple Fri 06-Oct-17 08:52:54

I've hovered the bits I could get to down the side of the arms.

There's no back bit to cut open. When flipped you can just see the metal recliner bits of that makes sense.

The smell is more strong underneath. I did sniff the carpet but it's stronger on the sofa.

Dc could have but I'm not sure what could have been spilt or dropped that could cause this stench.

Thishatisnotmine that really made me laugh!

I've going to have to cut my lovely sofas open aren't I? We only got them 6 months ago shock

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 06-Oct-17 08:54:59

Spilt milk?

Maplestaple Fri 06-Oct-17 09:42:08

That's possible actually. DH is going to take it apart tonight 😩

MrsMotherHen Fri 06-Oct-17 09:53:43

have you got contents insurance might be worth giving them a ring see if your covered.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 06-Oct-17 11:29:57

Stick your nose up really close and sniff. There would only need to be a bit of milk for it to absolutely reek. Make a week solution of Zoflora and get clean cloth and rub over every square once and leave to dry.

Thishatisnotmine Fri 06-Oct-17 13:27:45

If it is milk or something and you find the likely area then cleaning it with a bio washing powder/liquid will help. The bio enzymes eat through (scientific description!) the smell. Powder works well as you can leave it on there for a bit

AllToadsLeadToHome Sat 07-Oct-17 20:22:00

Milk smells like vomit though, not meat.

AllToadsLeadToHome Sat 07-Oct-17 20:23:20

Buy a black light and shine it on the sofa and under it. You need to do it with the lights off and it shows florescent where there is something that might be dubious.

Amber0685 Sat 07-Oct-17 20:27:26

Another vote for milk, that absolutely stinks, like a rotting animal.

Amber0685 Sat 07-Oct-17 20:32:05

Try wiping it with a damp cloth and bicarb of soda

LoveMyKids1988 Sun 08-Oct-17 00:25:45

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: