Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone found a good deal on cabin beds?

(23 Posts)
llmb Mon 02-Oct-17 08:15:28

I need to get my son a cabin bed but the ones that fit the bill are so expensive.

It needs ideally to be wooden (as apposed to white) have a pull out desk and an area underneath the bed he can get into (he is autistic). Most of the ones iv seen have space under them behind the shelves/drawers etc so that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Ideally under £300..... I can only find just the 'shell' for that price but ideally need good quality and with shelves/drawers under it not just the frame? Doesn't need to include mattress ...

Tia

ifherbumwereabungalow Mon 02-Oct-17 08:19:37

I've been looking at these for my son. Don't know much about the company though. https://www.mrsflatpack.co.uk/wolf-childrens-midi-cabin-bed-418-p.asp

llmb Mon 02-Oct-17 08:55:21

Thank you, I saw that one but it doesn't have a 'bar' along it so I know he won't like that one.

CakeMonster100 Mon 02-Oct-17 22:42:14

Have you tried Gumtree or local Facebook selling sites for second hand ones? We got ours for £100 and although we needed my husband to dismantle, move and reassemble it sounds similar to what you need. It came with a cupboard that blocked entrance under the bed but we've never put it there as it means all of the space under the bed can be used (currently to make 'the biggest railway track in the world').

llmb Tue 03-Oct-17 08:18:36

Trouble is I'm a LP so can't collect something like that and pick it up myself. Haven't found any that the person can dismantle and deliver themselves plus still have the instructions!

SingingMySong Tue 03-Oct-17 09:54:48

How old is he? My son has a great quality thukka one - over budget. The drawers are excellent and you can buy them by the module, you don't have to buy a package so just get what you need. However he is 8 now and it's a long time since he's spent any time in the "den" part. In a 3ft bed with drawers underneath the gap is only about half of that width, it's just not big enough for him now. He hides in his wardrobe instead!

I wonder if you might do better to get eg a basic ikea cabin bed, add a chest of drawers of the right height and maybe give up on the desk - they always end up covered in mess and never put away anyway. Or get one of those beds with a tent area on top for his hideaway.

You can get them with all the bits for 400 or so but my son's friend removed his slats and fell through his bed, plus the drawers broke. I think DS would destroy one like that! Though I'm sure it would fine for my other child.

Debby08 Wed 04-Oct-17 09:58:56

Yeah, there are a lot out there that offer good deals for these. overstock, and gumtree are just some.

llmb Wed 04-Oct-17 19:13:27

He's 11 but has asd so still needs and wants to tunnel himself away. He currently spends time under his normal size bed so I know he will still like this.

I found one on furniture 1,2,3 I think it's called. The reviews are good except one person says it creaks which is a concern as that would freak him out. I want one that the ladder is not fixed so it can go either end as we live in rented, if we have to move again I don't want to be restricted with where his bed will fit. That rules out quite a few.

puddock Wed 04-Oct-17 19:33:04

We got one for DS9 recently. I did a lot of looking round and a lot of the cheaper new ones seemed quite flimsy and also not high enough for decent storage or hiding place underneath. Ended up getting a stompa rondo second hand on eBay which is great. Can be assembled with ladder either end, the assembly instructions are all online and I found it easy enough to reassemble. Hope you find something perfect.

llmb Wed 04-Oct-17 19:53:53

Thanks puddock do you know which rondo it is at all? They're very expensive! I'm torn as I don't want cheap crap that will fall apart but at the same time I can't justify spending over £500 on a bed for him?

Igneococcus Wed 04-Oct-17 20:05:33

I bought the higher version of this one www.wayfair.co.uk/Homestead-Living-Tot-to-Teen-Single-Mid-Sleeper-Bunk-Bed-HES1055.html for Ds (9) a few weeks ago. I really like it. It's sturdy.

sanumanu Thu 05-Oct-17 05:03:50

Yes, i have found one deal at uk.discountsoffersdeals.com/ and I am very happy with that one. I found cheaper and best one there. Hope you too get one there

llmb Thu 05-Oct-17 06:03:53

igne I like that one but it doesn't come with a matching desk or other items and they dint seem to sell any seperately?

sanu I came across that website but can't see ant beds? I don't know if it's because I'm looking on a phone ...

ScrubbyGarden Thu 05-Oct-17 21:44:33

I got a marks and Spencer's one (Rrp about 750) on eBay for about £70, and spent another £70 to get anyvan to collect it for me and deliver. It took about 2-3 weeks of stalking ebay to get the price I wanted within an hour or two's drive, and I messaged the seller first to check he was happy for a courier to collect. I then reassembled the bed solo, no instructions needed, just common sense (although I did find the instructions online after anyway, to check)

Friolero Thu 05-Oct-17 21:52:56

This one is a mid sleeper with a pull out desk. Could you make some curtains that Velcro on to make a den for him?

https://rooms4kids.co.uk/steens-white-midsleeper-with-pull-out-desk

Friolero Thu 05-Oct-17 21:58:38

Sorry just realised you said not white and not a fixed ladder so the one I suggested is no good!

llmb Fri 06-Oct-17 06:22:48

frio it could be white, id just prefer it not to be but yes I need one that the ladder can be either end of the bed thanks.

outputgap Fri 06-Oct-17 13:33:22

Have you looked at now and nani? Some are really cheap. The one we have has a guard but we also put a normal bed guard on!

You can buy covers to make a den and last time I looked they had fold up desks for underneath.

outputgap Fri 06-Oct-17 13:36:16

www.noaandnani.co.uk/cabin-beds-c1/cabin-bed-with-desk-and-tent-in-pirate-pete-design-p199

llmb Fri 06-Oct-17 17:05:58

They don't assemble for you and I can't find one on there that fits the bill out also there are no reviews. I want something recommended or that I can read the reviews as it's important I get this right and don't waste money I haven't got!

ScrubbyGarden Fri 06-Oct-17 18:18:15

Have you tried any local independents? Sometimes they can be good value and very helpful.

llmb Fri 06-Oct-17 18:51:08

Yes I have and no one has any!

ScrubbyGarden Sat 07-Oct-17 16:55:37

Bother!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now