We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Oh great and mighty minds of Mumsnet.....

(18 Posts)
Gingernaut Mon 17-Jul-17 22:48:51

I bow before your collective wisdom.

I prostrate myself before all your mighty knowledge of vacuum cleaners.

I have been saving up my Nectar points for some years. I have now accumulated £102 worth.

I have heard talk of cordless vacuums and have thought about putting my points towards a Dyson V8.

However, I already have a fairly nifty vacuum cleaner called James. Henry's little yellow brother.

He's pretty good. He can suction himself to carpets pretty easily.

I have seen something on the shop shelves. A VAXW86-DP-B Dual Power Upright Carpet Cleaner.

It is well reviewed. It does carpet cleaning better than an ordinary vacuum. It is reduced to £95.

Would it be worth my while buying the VAX?

Should I bother with a cordless vacuum when my own corded one works so well (when it isn't getting stuck on door frames and rolling around when I try to drag him round by his schnozzle hose?

WWYD?

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Mon 17-Jul-17 22:52:02

I recently went from a Henry to a Dyson somethingorother and I am wildly impressed.

I always sung Henry's praises, even when he randomly fell over like a drunk relative at a wedding, got wedged or his nose fell off.

I'm a convert.

Henry's now in the garage.

Gingernaut Mon 17-Jul-17 23:03:42

Sorry. I'm not sure now if it's a VAX W86 DP B or W86 DD B. confused

Both are very well reviewed across the internet.

Picture of objects of desire and links

W86-DD B

W86-DP B

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Gingernaut Mon 17-Jul-17 23:06:16

Yeah, little Jimmy gets stuck round door frames.

He's very shy about entering a room.

And that clowning around on his arse (?) as I try to drag him along by his nose gets irritating, I s'pose.....

elephantoverthehill Mon 17-Jul-17 23:09:15

Stay loyal to Henry and he will be loyal to you. I bought one of the first Dyson's but Henry has never failed to impress. Although I do have a Cleaner now and use Henry to clean up after I have been making brick dust etc

KindleBueno Mon 17-Jul-17 23:10:08

I have a Vax and I love it. I love it so much I asked for a new attachment and filter for my birthday - and I'm the world's biggest slattern. I'm not quite sure how I even ended up in the housekeeping section tbh blush

Betsy86 Mon 17-Jul-17 23:19:06

I have a hetty which is quite old but going strong and a cordless dyson. They are both handy and i keep both hetty normally lives upstairs and dysons parked in a corner near kitchen its so handy to be able to grab it and hoover up various crumbs etc without needing to mess around with leads etc. however hetty is better for the big jobs or when havin a super clean battery doesnt die lol. If you can i would have both they are equally useful xx

Gingernaut Mon 17-Jul-17 23:29:54

Does anyone have a wet carpet cleaner?

Are they any use at all or so I just rent a Rug Doctor every so often?

MeltorPeltor Mon 17-Jul-17 23:30:33

I have a cordless Dyson, he's just over three years now. Suction is still great but I think battery isn't as great as it used to be. I can do a small 4 bed house with two charges using the max power function.

I plan to get him services by Dyson at some point. I couldn't be without him though, so easy to get him out of the cupboard and wizz around, no cables and no back ache from lifting/righting him.

DH has a Henry AND a Charles for work and Henry does come in the house for DIY jobs because I feel my Dyson is too good for that.

Gingernaut Mon 17-Jul-17 23:31:56

Thanks for replying, btw.

Sorry, I'm just about to go to bed.

I'll check tomorrow morning.

Nighty night. 🌚

BewareTheUndertoad Tue 18-Jul-17 00:23:58

I have Henry's green cousin George, he washes our carpets rather well but I don't know how good he is at dry sucking as I also have a Dyson ball for pets which sucks up everything in sight.

There is also a newish handheld thing to replace the old Boss handheld which is used on the stairs, but it is rubbish, I can't tell you what it is as I can't go into the room where it is living at the moment, but it was around £50 and is corded. I would like a Dyson handheld but don't want something I have to recharge, I like to plug it in and get on with it.

Gingernaut Tue 18-Jul-17 00:47:43

I had a small Dirt Devil once. I thought it could do stairs.

Nope. It could barely fart in my general direction. Never again. 😠

BewareTheUndertoad Wed 19-Jul-17 18:35:01

My Boss was great, looked a it like Dirt Devil but much better. This new one is useless.

Gingernaut Wed 19-Jul-17 18:50:59

I hate that.

You buy an expensive gidget thinking is the answer to your very particular prayers and then find that

a) It can do what you bought it for but only if you buy expensive accessories that are hard to find.

b) It can't do what you bought it for; for any number of reasons including misselling, misreading the specs and it's actually crap.

Remembering my Dirt Devil and being reduced to picking fluff out of the carpet to feed it into the little fecker, I feel your pain. sad

crashandburnt Sat 22-Jul-17 08:33:04

My parents in law have a vax. It's the most pointless waste of time ever. I would be better off cleaning the carpets with my hairbrush.

Gingernaut Sat 22-Jul-17 13:07:03

The gidget I'm looking at has been well reviewed online. confused

A colleague at work has a Vax and praises it highly too. confused confused

FrogFairy Sat 22-Jul-17 16:30:26

My parents have used Rug Doctor a couple of times (several years apart) and were very impressed.

I can't help thinking that a £100 domestic machine is not going to do as good a job as the industrial quality rug doctor.

Brittbugs80 Sat 22-Jul-17 19:28:57

We hire a rug Dr every 18 months.
My new love is our Gtech upright and handheld. Light, excellent suction and fun to use.
Would absolutely recommend it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now