Talk

Advanced search

New washer or washer/dryer - which do you have? Which of these would you choose?

(11 Posts)
Ethelswith Tue 04-Jul-17 09:01:06

Well, the washing machine has just died and as it's nearly 20 years old I'm not going to try to get it fixed, so I've been researching what to get next.

I like simple, non computerised, relatively unintelligent machines. I've been researching online and have come up with the following possibilities:

The current version of my recently deceased machine is the Bosch WAQ283S1GB. If I go for just a washer, I'm pretty certain it'll be this one, unless anyone has horror stories.

But, I don't have space for a separate dryer, and although I happily hang out on the line, it can get a bit awkward if there's a protracted wet spell or if something is wanted in a hurry. So frequent washing loads but only occasional tumbling. My candidates are:

Bosch WVG30461GB - similar spec to the washer-only one, plus tumble.

Siemens WD14H421GB - more expensive than the Bosch, slightly smaller capacity (not that I ever check the weight of what I'm washing!) Is this make really likely to be a better build quality?

John Lewis JLWD1623 - slightly bigger capacity than the Bosch, similar price. Not sure which company makes them, and I've not had happy experiences with buying white goods from JL in the past.

Anyone got one of these? Or have others to recommend?

I'm dithering, but have to be decisive as we can't go without one for long.

NanTheWiser Tue 04-Jul-17 10:00:03

I bought the Siemens model you mentioned last year (from John Lewis - £699) when I had my kitchen refurbished. Like you, I usually dry washing on the rotary or on a rack indoors, and only use the drying function to fluff towels, or for quick drying when necessary (not often). Also, I live alone so don't have lots of laundry. I've found it to be an excellent machine, easy to use, and very quiet. I think Siemens is probably better built, but it comes from the same factory as Bosch, so both should be reliable.

Ethelswith Tue 04-Jul-17 21:24:22

Thanks Nan !

(any evening posters able to help?)

medisnet Thu 06-Jul-17 06:40:36

I have a JL one, bought about 18 months ago. They are made by AEG. Very happy with mine, you can change any setting but also has lots of programme.
Much better than my previous one, a Zanussi which stopped drying after two years.
Also longer warranty.

KoalaDownUnder Thu 06-Jul-17 06:49:01

I have a washer/dryer and despite it being a fantastic washer, the dryer function is pathetic. As in, I prefer to drive to the laundromat to dry large loads in winter.

However, it is 6 or 7 years old, so washer/dryers may have improved since then. Still think I'd rather have them separate.

Ifailed Thu 06-Jul-17 07:08:17

As you rarely use the dryer, I would be wary of buying a combination machine as there are far more components (that you infrequently use) that could go wrong and prevent you from using the main function. Most appliances do a power on test, and if they discover a fault will just sit there flashing some error code, whether you would be using the faulty part or not.

medisnet Thu 06-Jul-17 08:38:29

When the Zanussi stopped drying and was giving an error message it didn't effect the washing function. I used it for a few years as a washing machine only.
I never had a separate dryer but I'm happy with my w/d, although it struggles with a full king size set, duvet cover, 4 pillowcases, fitted sheet. I have to dry twice. Otherwise ok.

Ifailed Thu 06-Jul-17 08:52:35

medisnet good to hear, maybe something to check before buying a combi?

gruffalocake2 Thu 06-Jul-17 09:05:45

I have the Bosch and it's great. The reviews are good on all the sites I looked at, Siemens reviews were patchy I think. I don't have space for a separate dryer so this works well for us. The one hour wash and dry programme is great for school uniform etc if you need it next morning!

medisnet Thu 06-Jul-17 09:20:01

Ifailed the things I checked before buying the second one included the load, the JL is much bigger than the Zanussi I had. I like to do one reasonable sized wash and dry straight away, not split them, or only do small washes.

Also that I can change the settings, temp/spin etc, because I like fiddling with them choosing the most appropriate setting..... The JL let you change everything, quick, even quicker, extra rinses, prewash etc etc.
But at the same time it has easy pre-set ones for white goods-challenged family members wink.
The only thing I miss is the half load, but I use a quick setting instead.

Ethelswith Thu 06-Jul-17 17:26:31

I am white-goods-challenged and want simple!

The Bosch is the middle sized of the washer/dryers and I've had good experiences with that brand before.

The big dither now is whether to go washer or combi.

I need to be decisive by the weekend! Having positive posts about each of the combis I was considering is reassuring, but isn't helping me be decisive!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: