Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Barbeque grill cleaning

(9 Posts)
theconstantinoplegardener Sun 02-Jul-17 23:28:16

My DH loves to barbeque during the summer. I am the one who does the washing up. However I am at a loss to clean the BBQ grill! Ours is round and too big to fit in the dishwasher or the sink. I dip as much of it as I can into the sink (but that's only about one quarter of it) and scrub...the grill is now clean but there are black marks from droplets of dirty greasy water over my clothes, the kitchen wall and the rest of the washing up. I didn't grow up with a BBQ so have no experience of cleaning it and when I asked my DH he says the heat burns the grease from the previous BBQ session off so no need to clean in between times! But I cannot bear to leave the grill dirty, no doubt attracting flies and rats. So I was wondering, what does everybody else do please?

KanyesLunchbox Sun 02-Jul-17 23:39:08

I scrub it down with wire wool the next time I use it once it's cool and call it seasoning. Actual washing not needed.

wowfudge Mon 03-Jul-17 09:07:23

Stick it in the bag with Oven Pride. No scrubbing required.

Doublechocolatetiffin Mon 03-Jul-17 09:11:40

We've just found out about wire wool scrubbing too - we do it as the grill is heating up the next time we use it with one of those specific wire wool brushes for a BBQ. Been working brilliantly and we've wondered why we've bothered cleaning the grill all these years!

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 03-Jul-17 09:13:49

You can buy large plastic trays in homebase to soak them in.

Our BBQ was chosen because the grill fitted in the dw, so does the lid.

theconstantinoplegardener Mon 03-Jul-17 09:35:14

Hmm, I wish we'd thought to check dishwasher compatability Fluffy! Thank you for your suggestions everybody. I will look for a wire wool brush - perhaps the garden centre will stock them.

converselybranded Mon 03-Jul-17 09:42:18

I stick mine in one of those large, round, flat plastic trug things and let it soak in hot water with a couple of dishwasher tablets dissolving in it overnight. Out in the garden so not much mess then give it a scrub with a normal brush.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 03-Jul-17 09:46:40

You don't wash it until the end of the season when it's packed away.

Fire it up for 10 mins on high or when the coals are really hot and use a long handled wire brush to brush it down and again after you've finished grilling.

igivein Mon 03-Jul-17 10:51:49

When you finish barbecuing, whilst the coals are still hot, drop the grill down into the coals and it burns clean. Quick wipe over with a damp cloth once cool to get rid of any ash stuck to it - job done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now