Talk

Advanced search

Tips for a clean and tidy home?

(7 Posts)
MummyBearToOne1988 Sun 25-Jun-17 23:26:45

Hi. I'm looking for inspiration. I adore having a clean and tidy home to the point of OCD I'm sure. BUT since finding out I am pregnant (and have a 5 year old.) I've neglected my poor home... to be honest I just can't be bothered but then the mess is unbearable.

I've started paying for an ironing lady so don't really want to pay for a cleaner too. But my God she's a great help on the worst chore ever. I've also started doing online food shopping which I can do whilst having a cuppa and not feeling guilty. DP cooks once a week, does the odd job, mainly washing up, I have recently got a steam mop and one of those window cleaner vacuums which save time and hassle....

So do any of you have any quick fixes like above? I'd love to know... ps DP is great . He tries bless him but he's not got the same standards as me so I end up 're doing it etc xx

wowfudge Mon 26-Jun-17 07:35:29

Buy a sebo vacuum cleaner. We got one just over a week ago and it is so much better than our previous one you can really tell the difference. It automatically adjusts to different flooring, doesn't need emptying every two seconds (previous bagless one did) and the tools are great.

paxillin Mon 26-Jun-17 07:42:39

Never walk empty handed. There's always something in the room you came from that belongs in the room you're going to.

MrsHarveySpecterV Mon 26-Jun-17 13:41:29

I got a cleaner after DC2 was born (21 months between DC1 & 2) she gives the house a good clean once a week. I tidy ALL DAY! Turn it into a game for DC1 before snack time and I have a good tidy up when the kids go for their naps so I have a tidy house to relax in. No tips for you as such sorry other than that I seem to tidy constantly until the kids go to bed!

Sammysquiz Mon 26-Jun-17 14:06:27

Have a massive declutter. So much easier to keep the house clean and tidy when there's less stuff in it!

Aquamarine1029 Sat 08-Jul-17 00:59:20

Decluttering is key. If there's too much stuff to comfortably fit into your space, you'll never get it sorted. If you don't love it, and it doesn't hold an important purpose, you don't need it.

MeanAger Sat 08-Jul-17 01:13:39

Routine and rules are the key here.

Routine in that you do things the same every day and it becomes automatic, empty dishwasher while kettle boils, hang washing after breakfast, wipe loos and sinks at bedtime etc.

Rules in that everyone in the house knows the rules and, most importantly, they are enforced! We have rules like shoes off at the back door, everyone clears their own dishes into the dishwasher, no screen time before chores are done, no food outside of the kitchen, one toy out at a time, out it away before next toy comes out. If you keep pretty hot on the rules they also become automatic behaviours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now