Talk

Advanced search

How to clean cook hood filters

(14 Posts)
IHopeYouStepOnALegoPiece Sat 24-Jun-17 12:22:37

It's a range cooker hood and the filters haven't been cleaned recently 3 years or maybe 4 and I've realised I don't actually know how to clean them!

Help!

greatpumpkin Sat 24-Jun-17 12:23:29

Ours clip out and go in the dishwasher.

Crispsheets Sat 24-Jun-17 12:24:01

You get a little man in.

IHopeYouStepOnALegoPiece Sat 24-Jun-17 12:27:20

I'm worried they'll melt blush

I have a tall man in currently cleaning the over but he wants £35 on top for the hood and I'm to tight!

Redsippycup Sat 24-Jun-17 12:28:08

Ohh ohh i know this one! <waves hand in air maniacally>

If they are the metal swirly mesh ones and too dirty for the dishwasher then soak them in bio clothes detergent and really hot water - it's magic smile

<decides that counts as housework so doesn't do any today grin >

SleepWhatSleep1 Sat 24-Jun-17 12:29:40

Can I jump In And say we have an extractor hood but I can see no way pf cleaning it other than taking it apart.... Is that what I'm supposed to do?!

IHopeYouStepOnALegoPiece Sat 24-Jun-17 12:31:00

But they feel SO flimsy, like they'll snap when I take them out!

Maybe £35 is worth it hmm

Redsippycup Sat 24-Jun-17 16:42:28

Do you not have the manual to look up how to remove and clean them? if not google the make / model / whatever info you have for an online manual.

LittleWingSoul Sun 25-Jun-17 11:40:05

I put my panel type filters out and dishwashed them recently... I had done it before in other houses with no issues at all but this time it completely tarnished the metal from silver to yellow. Luckily they are easily and cheaply replaceable online but I would opt for Redsippycup's idea to be on the safe side!

QuiteQuietly Tue 27-Jun-17 11:10:18

Stick them in the bath with some hot water and soda crystals for 30 minutes or so. The fat and grease just rises to the top of the water and floats like a yellow lava lamp. Rinse them off and repeat until the process is less hypnotic to watch.

Yogagirl123 Tue 27-Jun-17 11:13:07

Mine clip out they are stainless steel, I put them in the dishwasher every so often, they come out looking like new. The guy who installed it said that was the best way to clean stainless steel ones.

donajimena Tue 27-Jun-17 11:13:45

I use oven mate mesh filter cleaner. Spray on. Leave. Have a cup of tea. Rinse under hot tap. Available online or lakeland. I'm a professional cleaner and I'll probably cleaner a hundred in the next two months.

crumbsinthecutlerydrawer Tue 27-Jun-17 11:15:41

Quite I do this too. It's grim. Every time I do it I say I must do it more often but then it gets forgotten.

IHopeYouStepOnALegoPiece Tue 27-Jun-17 11:34:19

I scrubbed them in v hot soapy water for 25 minutes....then wondered what the fuck I was doing with my life and chucked them in the dishwasher...came out sparkling!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: