Talk

Advanced search

Eco laundry and vinegar

(18 Posts)
helpimitchy Mon 12-Jun-17 17:00:41

I've decided to go eco with the laundry. Part of this process includes adding some white vinegar into the conditioner drawer to help freshen and soften the clothes.

Can you use it during the wash cycle instead because I bought some Sainsbury's white vinegar instead of the Tesco one and it smells really strong confused

I don't want to have to start doing double rinses as we're on a water meter.

I have three bottles of the stuff hmm

wobblywonderwoman Mon 12-Jun-17 17:02:03

I put it directly onto underarms and them put a few drops into the drum itself. I use whatever I have - any type of vinegar and no smells

YellowLawn Mon 12-Jun-17 17:03:48

it will be fine. the smell will dissapear when drying,

helpimitchy Mon 12-Jun-17 17:18:11

That's reassuring. I don't want to end up smelling like chips grin

Dh is a bit hmm about my experiments grin

AlternativeTentacle Mon 12-Jun-17 17:20:53

It's not really an experiment, people have been doing it for years.

Although I don't use any fabric softener, ever. I do use vinegar in the dishwasher instead of rinse aid. It is fantastic.

loveisagirlnameddaisy Mon 12-Jun-17 17:22:46

Vinegar instead of rinse aid. That may very well change my life. We're in a hard water area and all my glasses are in a terrible state. Maybe vinegar will revive them?

helpimitchy Mon 12-Jun-17 17:28:26

Oh, it's an experiment for me I mean grin

helpimitchy Mon 12-Jun-17 17:29:28

Yes it gets rid of build up love we don't have a dishwasher but I've seen tips on YouTube.

Ktown Mon 12-Jun-17 17:30:49

I put a large slug of spirit vinegar in the pre wash and a couple of drops in the wash drawer
It is brilliant and I have cut right down on the detergent use and clothes smell fresher
Plus it keeps the washing machine limescale free and the drawers clean
It is fantastic and I don't know why everyone doesn't do it

allwornout0 Mon 12-Jun-17 17:33:29

I am trying to get my family to cut down on the number of chemicals that we use in cleaning products/toiletries etc.
I also have a husband giving me funny looks wondering what new thing I have changed today.
I am going to try the vinegar in the laundry soon but am trying out the Ecover laundry things I found first. I will def try vinegar instead of rinse aid as my dishwasher seems to drink the stuff like it's going out of fashion.

helpimitchy Mon 12-Jun-17 17:53:56

The Ecover laundry stuff is very good. I'm currently trying out seventh generation now.

allwornout0 Mon 12-Jun-17 18:05:11

Oh I saw that in Tesco, will be interesting to see what you think of it.
I have some Faith In Nature liquid on order. Just want to find some (least toxic) different dishwasher tablets now.

helpimitchy Mon 12-Jun-17 18:46:43

I'm already using the seventh generation washing up liquid and it's fine. It cleans and I no longer have sore, dry hands. Not too expensive either.

I don't know anything about dishwashers as we don't have the room for one. Take a look on YouTube though for info on eco cleaning. There might be something on there for dishwasher suggestions.

AlternativeTentacle Mon 12-Jun-17 18:49:50

We use ecover dishwasher tabs. They are great.

allwornout0 Mon 12-Jun-17 18:53:42

Thanks, will do helpimitchy, will do.
AlternativeTentacle, do you use the classic or all in one Ecover tablets?

AlternativeTentacle Mon 12-Jun-17 19:06:38

All in one. But still use salt and vinegar.

allwornout0 Mon 12-Jun-17 19:08:42

Thanks AlternativeTentacle

EcoCleaner Mon 12-Jun-17 22:45:19

I posted this before, but I'll post it again.

I'm a complete eco cleaning nut. Infact, I'm a bit of an ethical shopping nut. But cleaning is my speciality and I have a blog that I add to on Facebook for testing out/reviewing various products. I originally set the blog up so I could report on my findings as I was making the switch from convential cleaning products to eco alternatives, but everything is now an eco alternative so I regularly post my findings on different products.

Believe me, I was THE BIGGEST advocate for bleach, disinfectant, 99.9% bacteria killing spray and anything that smelled nice. But since making the switch over 2 years ago, I never looked back. Oddly enough, since we ditched the heavy chemical cleaners, none of us have had a cold or flu!

Anyway, back in topic, I've tested LOTS of eco detergents. I used to only ever use Persil Bio powder as I found it was the only detergent that got things clean everytime and didn't stink to high heaven. It was actually the last product to go when I made the switch. I've used Ecover, Ecozone, BioD, Sonnett's, Method, Splosh, EcoEggs, Faith In Nature and ECOS.

My favourites so far are the Ecover Biological liquid for darks and Splosh Cotton Flower powder for light colours, whites, bedding and towels.

The Ecover contains no optical brighteners or bleaching agents, but it is biological, which makes it great for washing dark colours.

The Splosh is also biological and contains bleaching agents for keeping light colours and whites looking bright, and also for hygiene on sheets and towels.

Both have a light, fresh scent.

The myth about biological detergents being bad for your skin is just that - a myth.

The Splosh takes a bit of getting used to. It comes in a self-dosing bottle so you tip it up and it dispensers the right amount of powder each time. Splosh have taken all the pointless bulking agents out of their detergents, so you only need a very small amount. It looks so strange at first to use such a tiny amount, but believe me, it works! The whole concept of Splosh is pretty great. Basically, you buy a set of bottles and then order refill pouches. The refil pouches can be returend to splosh free of charge for reuse/recycling, so it's completely zero waste.

I have a discount code for Splosh, so feel free to use it should you want to make an order. It's 1B5BC0.

There's a video that gives you some info about the company and how the refills work: www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xIvymyy-XE

And this is how the self-dosing bottles work for laundry powder and liquid (both work in the same way).
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq9dz5h1qeM

If you don't want to bother with 2 detergents, I would recommend the Splosh as it will make a far better overall detergent AND it's cheaper - £4.95 with free delivery for the refill bag.

My blog is here, if anyone wants to have a nosey: www.facebook.com/ecocleaningblog/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: