Talk

Advanced search

Keeping dark colours dark

(8 Posts)
WellTidy Mon 05-Jun-17 10:43:33

I wear navy cropped trousers pretty much all summer long. I have three identical pairs (couldn't take the risk of them running out!) and I wash with Ariel colour powder. I've recently swapped from Ariel colour liquid tablets.The navy is definitely fading way faster than I'd anticipated. I dry on a clothes rack in the utility room, so its not the sun fading them.

What products do you use on darks?

MrsHathaway Mon 05-Jun-17 10:47:07

I use Aldi's own non-bio and don't have any noticeable problems with fading.

BUT

I do separate my colours fairly strictly. So my dark load will include navy and charcoal school uniform, black jeans, etc. I'm sure that the leakage from newer items refreshes the older things.

ZeldaWasMyGransName Tue 06-Jun-17 13:41:54

I have this problem with blacks and was going to try bio liquid next as I currently ha e powder and I do think it's leaving kind of white splodges or discolouration. I wonder if it's the bleach in it but as it's a colours powder it shouldn't envy

e1y1 Tue 06-Jun-17 14:08:01

Try Persil colour detergent.

Ariel colour detergents don't contain bleach, but they DO contain optical brighteners. These are good for colours (as in bright colours) as they make them appear vibrant and "pop", on darks (blacks/navys) through, they will give them a whitish/dusty hue. Persil colour doesn't have bleach or brighteners.

It's worth noting though that NO detergent (Colour or not) will stop fading completely, just the act of washing them will, over time, cause fabrics to fade. The agitation and even the residual chlorine in tap water will cause fading.

Salt can help to set colour, so when you buy a new item, run it through a wash with half a cup of salt.

WellTidy Tue 06-Jun-17 19:59:02

Thanks for the advice, I will try and see!

jellyshoeswithdiamonds Tue 06-Jun-17 22:00:36

I use tesco's non bio washing tablets for everything.

All darks get washed inside out though and pegged out inside out, I think that must preserve the colour.

SensitiveSoinSo Sat 24-Jun-17 13:39:31

Wash inside out with non bio powder and darker coloured items.

nightswimming1 Sat 24-Jun-17 21:57:07

Woo lite extra darks is very good!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: