Talk

Advanced search

Is my fridge doomed?

(5 Posts)
moutonfou Wed 31-May-17 08:29:03

Fridge in rented property, been there at least 5 years, who knows who long before us!

The magnetic seal seems to be too weak and the fridge keeps slightly opening. I've had to ram the bin against it while I post this!

Yesterday the fridge must have been open most of the day without us knowing, and must have gone into overdrive because there is literally an ice palace formed at the back - I was chiselling off yoghurt pots fully encased in ice last night! The ice doesn't seem to have melted overnight with the door properly closed either.

Is there anything I can do or am I best calling landlord and proclaiming it doomed??

BandeauSally Wed 31-May-17 08:30:48

Not sure but I wonder if it's possible to just replace the seal?

moutonfou Wed 31-May-17 08:34:46

I've heard that if white goods aren't recent models, it will usually be cheaper just to get a new one than to replace part of it. Part of the reason they've become so disposable with such a shorter lifespan but that's a rant for another time!!

CormorantDevouringTime Wed 31-May-17 08:44:36

Replacement seals are a simple enough job but the prices vary significantly by model - whether it's worth doing depends on the age and price of the fridge, and whether you can do it yourself or need to pay a professional. Let the landlord know and they can make the call.

BandeauSally Wed 31-May-17 09:02:01

Yes let the landlord know. In the meantime I would be getting a few cheap magnets to keep it shut.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now