Talk

Advanced search

Samsung American Fridge Freezers - how reliable are they now ?

(15 Posts)
ICantFindAFreeNickName2 Mon 29-May-17 21:21:20

We are thinking about getting the RFG23UERS model, as I want the ice-cubes & chilled water. They come highly recommended by Which, but when looking on Mumsnet it seems quite a few people had problems with Samsungs about 6 years ago. I just wondered if they have improved in reliability over the years

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Mon 29-May-17 21:24:12

We have a Samsung fridge. It's not the double American style but it does have a cold water dispenser, and a large capacity. We are pleased with it so far, we have had it about 4 months now.

Kipperiscool Mon 29-May-17 21:28:42

We have the showcase one. It's awesome. Had it over a year with no problems whatsoever!smile

JaneEyre70 Mon 29-May-17 21:34:44

We've had ours for 2 years. We use the water and ice daily, and it's very quiet. My only quibble would be the quality of the drawers etc, but our last one was a Maytag and cost well over double what the Samsung did so we were probably a little spoiled. We've broken both of the lower veg drawers...........and the water filters are supposed to last 6 months but we seem to go through them a lot quicker!

DramaAlpaca Mon 29-May-17 21:36:58

I've had mine for a few years now. It's great & we've had no problems with it.

ICantFindAFreeNickName2 Mon 29-May-17 21:38:45

Thanks for your replies.
I had not factored the water filters into the cost - how do you know when to change them ?

JaneEyre70 Mon 29-May-17 21:43:35

You get a light indicator. Our first one lasted about 4/5 months and the last one has been less than 3 but we do live in a very hard water area.....I tend to go by the taste of the water tbh now rather than the warning light. They are about £15 each so not cheap.

Debunked Mon 29-May-17 21:56:29

I was just going to post this exact question! Great minds smile

Sorry to hijack thread icant but do those of you with water dispenser models find the flow is quick enough? I have nightmares about being thirsty and only getting a trickle...

Also anyone any views on Samsung v Fisher & Paykel?

BigGreenOlives Mon 29-May-17 22:00:46

I have had both & think that Fisher & Paykel feel better made, the Samsung (American style with ice/water dispenser) has very cheap feeling noisy drawers. However it was much cheaper than the F&P equivalent would have been. Oh & another annoying feature is the way two drawers are labeled Vegetable & one Fresh. I would prefer them not to be labeled & if they have to be I think the bottom drawer should be meat.

JamesDelaneysHat Mon 29-May-17 22:04:41

We've got a Samsung American style fridge freezer - almost 3 years and no problems with it at all

Debunked Mon 29-May-17 22:20:22

Thanks biggreen - that's interesting to know. Any views on which had faster flow rate for the water dispenser?

JaneEyre70 Mon 29-May-17 22:25:36

Flow rate is fine on ours. It fills a glass fairly quickly, it would probably depend on your mains water pressure though I would imagine.

CabernetSauvignyoni Tue 30-May-17 04:26:49

We've had our double with ice and water dispenser for 3 years now - have had no problems at all. The flow rate is fine on ours and the ice dispenser only gets blocked if you let it get too full without emptying it.

Toomanycats99 Tue 30-May-17 05:37:42

We have had ours maybe 8 years. We have one reoccurring problem which is the fan motor icing up. You need to give it a really long defrost yo sort it. It usually happens when you overfill. It was a known problem at the time when I started researching it!

BigGreenOlives Tue 30-May-17 08:14:57

@Debunked the F&P didn't have an ice/water dispenser. The Samsung does but we haven't plumbed it in yet, the house it's in is undergoing major refurbishment in the autumn so when we moved in we bought a fridge to plumb in later. We make ice the normal way and put it in the dispenser. It doesn't feel substantial the way the F&P does. At the moment I use 3 fridges regularly & the Gaggenau is definitely by the best, but they also cost a fortune. Beware of separate freezers that don't autodefrost, I use a Siemens under the counter that needs defrosting regularly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now