Talk

Advanced search

How do you get mould out of clothes?

(4 Posts)
slightlydomesticated Sun 28-May-17 17:51:13

Does anyone have any tricks that would get mould out of clothes? Some of my kids clothes were in storage at sil and I've found a few items now have mould. I washed everything once I got it back, I've soaked the items in vinegar, vanish, bicarbonate of soda (individually and combinations of the things I've tried) nothing seems to work. Can they be saved or should I just chuck them (really don't want anything lingering if the kids wore the clothes)

user1487671808 Sun 28-May-17 19:15:18

I got mouldings out of a fabric tent by soaking it in Napisan or Milton (can't remember which) so worth a try maybe.

FlouncingInTheRain Sun 28-May-17 19:20:07

As above, dilute steralising solution (supermarket own brands about 99p), old spray bottle dilute further with water about 10- 20% steralising solution ( so very, very mild bleach). Spray liberally on the mouldy area until soaking, leave in the sun to activate the bleach on the mould, wash thoroughly, repeat if necessary.

Being bleach colours may bleach out. So works well on whites but not so well on bold colours. You can make up a bucket of the solution and immerse the whole item in the mild solution (use washing up gloves to protect your hands) and again hang out for the sunlight/ bleach magic to happen.

Intransige Sun 28-May-17 19:21:35

Tea tree oil will kill mould. I add it liberally to the wash in the fabric softener bit of the drawer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now