Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please help me stop DH from putting the heating on

(40 Posts)
SentientCushion Sat 27-May-17 13:41:45

My DH is in charge of doing the washing and he flat out refuses to believe that there is a way of drying clothes in the house without putting the heating on. It's just started to rain and in he comes with the washing to put on the radiators and whack on the heating.
It's so hot, I can't cope. Please save us from melting to death and tell me your clothes drying tips.

We have a clothes horse but DH 'doesn't believe in it'.

Monstamio Sat 27-May-17 13:45:18

It's plenty warm enough today for clothes to dry! Can you just prove it to him by sticking ithe laundry on the clothes horse? If he really won't have it, perhaps invest in one of those Lakeland heated airers. Then at least you won't be wasting quite so much energy.

SentientCushion Sat 27-May-17 13:48:18

he's squawking about how leaving them to dry on a clothes horse will make the house smell hmm

Puffpaw Sat 27-May-17 13:49:12

If you are heating the whole house just to dry clothes you might as well get a tumble dryer!

SentientCushion Sat 27-May-17 13:50:56

we've nowhere to put one or we'd have one

sonlypuppyfat Sat 27-May-17 13:51:55

How people manage without a tumble dryer is beyond me it must be like living at Widow Twankies

Floralnomad Sat 27-May-17 13:52:05

If you have patio doors with a curtain rail use that to hang stuff to dry , I do this all year with anything that doesn't tumble dry - I very rarely use the outside line and then only for sheets / duvets etc . My house is well heated at appropriate times but obviously not when it's boiling outside ( we have fans going all round the place today ) .

gamerchick Sat 27-May-17 13:52:11

If you are heating the whole house just to dry clothes you might as well get a tumble dryer!

Yep^

Why don't you turn the heating off and put it on the airers OP? Hearings no good this time of year.

SleightOfHand Sat 27-May-17 13:52:43

I agree, may as well get a tumble dryer. Or maybe make a covered drying area if your gardens big enough.

3luckystars Sat 27-May-17 13:54:44

Just turn them off and prove it can be done. Conduct an experiment.

SleightOfHand Sat 27-May-17 13:55:02

Have you got those individual radiator controls on each radiator, no need for every radiator to be on at least.

Bloomed Sat 27-May-17 13:55:16

Crikey am overheated with all the windows open. LTB!

SentientCushion Sat 27-May-17 13:55:52

he's agreed to conduct an experiment

Viserion Sat 27-May-17 13:57:18

How people manage without a tumble dryer is beyond me it must be like living at Widow Twankies

With an airer above the washing machine in a utility room and a separate clothes horse for the overspill. Haven't had a tumble dryer in years, including when I had cloth nappies to dry. It really isn't hard to manage and much more environmentally friendly.

PurpleChai Sat 27-May-17 13:57:29

Tumble dryer or Lakeland heated airer if you can't peg out clothes!

NotAPuffin Sat 27-May-17 13:58:41

How can he not believe in a clothes horse? I could see how he could have trouble with a clothes unicorn but clothes horses are utterly factual.

SentientCushion Sat 27-May-17 14:01:25

I half think it was a plot to get me to take over doing the washing if I'm honest.

dementedpixie Sat 27-May-17 14:04:50

I don't have a tumble drier either but have 2 clothes airers in a spare bedroom. It's hot inside so clothes will dry just fine without any extra heating

mistermagpie Sat 27-May-17 14:16:21

I don't like tumble drying clothes, I think it ruins them. We can only fit in a washer dryer though so it might just be that my dryer is crap... Anyway I dry stuff outside when it's dry or use a Lakeland heated airer thing when it's not. I hate seeing washing all over radiators, it just looks so untidy.

SleightOfHand Sat 27-May-17 14:16:24

I half think it was a plot to get me to take over doing the washing if I'm honest. Yes, I know about this, awful isn't it.

Hidingtonothing Sat 27-May-17 14:26:18

I use a combo of tumble dryer, indoor airers and occasionally the outside line. House never smells (except of clean washing!) no damp issues, I have wet stuff on the airer now which is drying quickly (it's warm and muggy here today) despite having no heating on. Your DH is clearly batshit OP grin

Bumply Sat 27-May-17 14:30:43

I dry things indoors with a clothes rack and a dehumidifier

SentientCushion Sat 27-May-17 14:32:04

He is hiding I usually just let him get on with it but I've had to put my foot down today or I'd end up ltb I'm so hot.

ErrolTheDragon Sat 27-May-17 14:33:50

Send him out to a launderette to dry the large stuff?

SnickersWasAHorse Sat 27-May-17 14:34:32

He doesn't believe in clothes horses?

They are real! You can buy them in shops. Nowt existential about a clothes horse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now