Talk

Advanced search

Coping with Domestics and Work

(6 Posts)
user1495558274 Tue 23-May-17 18:08:00

I'd love to know how women with busy work lives arrange their domestic situation.

I'm struggling to the point where I'm looking in The Lady for domestic help!

I run my own company which at present is full on in the right direction, but struggle to keep up with the domestics.

Does anyone here employ a housekeeper? Nanny? Or how do you cope?

I'm single at present with one school age child, so I have no support at home, but a decent enough income to afford some home help. Which I think I'm nearly at that point!!

MrsB11 Tue 30-May-17 10:20:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Lalalandfill Tue 30-May-17 10:30:09

I am essentially a single mum ,as dh is away long chunks of the year. I have a cleaner 3 times a week, who will also do childcare if necessary - during holidays or when dcs are sick, she irons/cooks/gardens/cleans out cupboards - whatever I ask her to do. It's expensive but it keeps me sane. I found my cleaner via friends but you can easily find someone on gumtree/childcare - just be VERY clear about what the job entails from the off i.e. don't drop in once they've started that you'd like them to do ironing as that's how relationships break down

YoureNotASausage Tue 30-May-17 10:35:42

I have a full time job but work at home. I'm also in the process of setting up a new company. I've a nanny for my little ones. She doubles as a housekeeper (her own proactive choice) and preps our meals, does all lsundry, changes beds, feeds animals...basically she's me if I was not working. I have a cleaner come in for 2hrs once a week. And I do tidy up myself after work and evening meal and kids in bed, and before I do a bit of work on my new company. The nanny is the main one who keeps our house ticking over. I'm working, husband is working, we need someone to cover the other jobs as otherwise it would weirdly be expected of me to do. (Fucking chauvinistic society).

oldestmumaintheworld Tue 30-May-17 10:41:35

When I was in your position I employed a full time nanny, a cleaner and a gardener and it was worth it to not go nuts.

I did the on-line shopping and my own ironing. Husband did his. Nanny did the kids. I also did the cooking whilst husband put kids to bed. If I could have afforded a housekeeper I would have had one of those as well.

Go for it.

user1495558274 Tue 30-May-17 16:24:45

Thank you so much ladies. I am going to go nuts trying to do it all and am almost imploding as it is. I've got a few days away this weekend, so will be a perfect time to work out exactly what I want them to do. Thank you again, much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now