Talk

Advanced search

What do you have out on kitchen worktops?

(52 Posts)
youngestisapsycho Tue 23-May-17 14:10:47

We are having new kitchen installed this weekend. Its a small kitchen and currently have kettle, toaster, mug tree, tea/coffee/sugar pots, some pasta jars. Over by the cooker i have various oils and soya sauces on the counter.
I think I want to hide everything away, except the kettle and toaster!
I may not have cupboard space to put everything away...
What do you do... do you like things out of sight or like things easy to hand!

NikkiNoodle91 Tue 23-May-17 14:18:37

I have microwave kettle and toaster that's it. It's quicker to wipe sides then, when you don't have loads of things to move.

SpeckleDust Tue 23-May-17 14:21:03

Microwave, toaster, kettle and kitchen roll holder.

Everything else in cupboards - much easier to clean work surfaces with less clutter.

Wait4nothing Tue 23-May-17 14:21:29

We try and only keep out bare minimum but still have microwave, steriliser, toaster, coffee maker, kettle, knife block, spice rack

PickAChew Tue 23-May-17 14:22:14

Unless they're used quickly, oils and sauces keep better in a dark cupboard.

TeenAndTween Tue 23-May-17 14:25:02

trays, kettle, toaster, tea bags, coffee, spoon rest and teabag tongs
large chopping board, small chopping board
radio, fruit bowl , bits and bobs, open bread

microwave, glass bowl & plastic bowl, squash, washing up,

spice rack, large jar of lose change, spoon jar, tub of small change

plus other random stuff

Can't be bothered putting stuff away if it is used a lot.

NannyR Tue 23-May-17 14:27:58

Kettle, knife block and Kenwood chef - everything else is in a cupboard. I have a small kitchen so keeping the sides clear makes it look a bit more spacious and its much easier to clean.

kel1493 Tue 23-May-17 14:28:47

Kettle, toaster, microwave, tea coffee and sugar pots, 2 utensils pots, a bread bin, biscuit tin and a kitchen roll holder. 1 or 2 water filters and the cold water steriliser.

Copper1122 Tue 23-May-17 14:31:10

Toaster, food waste bin. Got a stove top kettle)

Twodogsandahooch Tue 23-May-17 14:36:58

SIL in Australia has a unit with a slide down cover to hide kitchen gadgets . I've always been tempted to do something similar as I like empty worktops . I currently have kettle, toaster, magimix, blender breadbin and coffee machine. Will need a big cupboard

youngestisapsycho Tue 23-May-17 14:46:42

Its finding a home for everything though isn't it.... i'll wait for kitchen to be finished and see where everything can fit. I'd like it quite clear for easier cleaning!

MaisieDotes Tue 23-May-17 14:48:16

I have kettle, toaster and breadbin.

If I had my way the toaster would be gone but the DC eat too much toast. Maybe one day... smile

Scribblegirl Tue 23-May-17 14:49:27

Kettle, toaster, knife block and salt and pepper. Also a coffee machine and a bread maker - not that we use them that often but they're too big to stow away!

Scribblegirl Tue 23-May-17 14:50:29

(We got rid of our microwave 2 years ago and tbh I don't miss it!)

EyeDrops Tue 23-May-17 15:09:21

Microwave, kettle, toaster, knife block, mug tree/tea cannisters, breadbin. Wish it was less but we don't have the cupboard space for them to be away!

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Tue 23-May-17 15:45:53

Washing up stuff (in a holder). Microwave, stand mixer, fruit bowl, salt and pepper, kettle, toaster, coffee machine, instant pot, butter dish, eggs. It's more than I'd like but the appliances are all too big for cupboards and used frequently, butter and eggs don't really fit into our cupboards either.

Tea and coffee stuff is all put away, as are bread, spices and oils. Kitchen roll is on an under-cupboard holder. Knives on a magnetic walk rack, fish slices etc on a hanging rail.

Dreamingoutloud7 Tue 23-May-17 15:54:41

Usually just kettle, knife bleach and microwave. Now we have a baby we also have steriliser and perfect prep machine.
I love clear surfaces!

Dreamingoutloud7 Tue 23-May-17 15:55:13

Obviously meant knife block, not bleach!!

oleoleoleole Tue 23-May-17 16:02:29

Tea, coffee sugar, kettle, coffee machine, toaster. Salt and pepper next to cooker. Eggskelter and kitchen roll.

I have all spices on cupboard mounted racks on the backs of the doors to save space as i have a small kitchen with not much storage.

NennyNooNoo Tue 23-May-17 16:05:59

Too much! Coffee machine, kettle, toaster, mixer, bread bin, fruit bowl, onion tray, bowl of cherry tomatoes, egg basket, opened bottle of wine, food waste caddy, washing up liquid, soap dispenser, important documents, stuff that hasn't been put away after use, washing up that hasn't been done.....

SheepyFun Tue 23-May-17 16:07:08

We're not terribly tidy, so I'll spare you the list of what we have out. What we would still have out if organised:
microwave
kettle
rack that we store lids in (we have lots of pots, so they need to be stacked without lids)
Kenwood chef - it's older than me and very heavy. I don't think my toes would thank me for dropping it
breadmaker (another thing I'd drop)
oils for cooking
spatulas/spoons for cooking

We are fortunate to have a good size kitchen, but the above do make cleaning more of a challenge...

Notso Tue 23-May-17 16:31:40

One side,
Eggs
Coffee machine
Tin of pods for coffee machine
Biscuit tin
Tea pot
Kettle
Kitchen roll

Other side,
Chopping boards
Spoon rest
Pestle and mortar
Ladle that looks like a dinosaur
Oils
Bread board
Toaster
Breadbin

On the window sill
Plants
Herbs
Radio
Lego 'art' by DS2 and 3
Washing up liquid
Soap
Dish I put my rings in when baking
A candle

youngestisapsycho Tue 23-May-17 16:42:59

I would love a window sill in the kitchen!

Hastalapasta Tue 23-May-17 16:49:56

Herbs, radio and vase on the window sill.
Toaster, kettle, charging station, bread bin, knife block, utensil caddy, eggs, fruit bowl, pot of pens, and currently a new fire alarm that ready to go up. (Upstairs one started beeping last weekend so we assume the downstairs one is due to be replaced too).

Not as cluttered as it sounds as we have a long counter.

Hastalapasta Tue 23-May-17 16:53:05

We have one of these for kitchen roll, cling film and foil.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now