Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning wooden floors?

(8 Posts)
LegoStarWars Mon 22-May-17 10:51:33

I'm hopefully moving house soon, and the new place has wooden floors throughout. I've never had these before! Have always just had carpet (hoover) and lino/stone (mop).

So… how's best to clean them? Kitchen, bathroom, living room, bedrooms… I'm guessing a hoover won't be brilliant. Is it just a case of sweeping constantly? Then a mop for kitchen/bathroom?

aginghippy Mon 22-May-17 10:56:41

I have a special hard floor head for my hoover and use that for the wood floors. I wash them using a sponge mop and Method wood floor cleaner.

Heratnumber7 Mon 22-May-17 11:08:01

Are they wood? Or laminate!

misscph1973 Mon 22-May-17 11:10:12

You can definitely use a hoover, just make sure the brush thing on the head is down.

Method wood floor cleaner or soap flakes for washing. I prefer to get down on my hands and knees scrubbing with a soft brush and a cloth to wipe off excess water.

is it real wood or laminate? If real wood, is it varnished?

MrsBadger Mon 22-May-17 11:10:38

hoover is good if it has the right kind of head (better than sweeping which just scrapes the dirt around) then Lakeland e-cloth -type mop with barely-damp head

LegoStarWars Mon 22-May-17 11:54:37

I'm pretty sure it's real wood floorboards, and they look varnished.

I'd need to buy a new hoover if I was going to have one – are there any that are particularly good for wood floors?

Thanks for suggestions – will look into Method cleaner and the ecloths.

MrsBadger Mon 22-May-17 12:07:31

MN must have noticed - the sidebar ad here immediately recommended the Shark Lift Away!

LegoStarWars Mon 22-May-17 12:23:34

Ooh that looks really good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now