Talk

Advanced search

Deep clean ahead of babys arrival!

(8 Posts)
Hollyhop17 Sun 21-May-17 18:49:47

Hello,

FTM and LO is due mid July. I am still suffering from hyperemesis so have been pretty much out of action the whole pregnancy. DH has tried his best but to be honest, the house is a bit of a tip and just not as clean as I would like for a new born. Lots of cleaning smells set me off and I'm still knackered to be honest to do it myself..

I really want to get someone in to do a massive spring clean of the whole house. Does this seem like overkill or pretty reasonable?!

Has anyone done this in London recently and if so, rough idea of costs?

Thanks!

MrsBadger Sun 21-May-17 19:12:18

Entirely reasonable - expect to pay £12.50/hr or more. (This is the kind of thing some kind relative might like to fund as a gift - drop hints to anyone who might be trying to think of something nice to get you!)

Rainatnight Sun 21-May-17 19:16:05

Entirely reasonable. It's practical AND a very normal nesting instinct, you've just not been able to do it yourself.

How are you fixed for de-cluttering/storage? Do you know where you're going to put baby stuff?

Hollyhop17 Sun 21-May-17 22:12:03

Thanks both, have showed this to DH! How far in advance would you arrange it for? End of June maybe? My DD is 19.7.17

I will drop some hints to my parents, thanks for the tip!

Yeah we are pretty clear about where most stuff is going. We live in a 2 bed mid terrace so not a lot space so decisions are easily made!

Primaryteach87 Tue 30-May-17 00:02:13

We did this. Well worth it and made me so much more relaxed about having visitors. Also if you end up needing a csection, you'll be glad of the house is in a good state.

MrsB11 Tue 30-May-17 10:07:05

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

CaptainWarbeck Thu 01-Jun-17 08:00:09

Do it! We did it for a housewarming when I had hyperemesis, could barely move and the house was a state. It was brilliant. We got kitchen deep cleaned, floors done, house generally freshened up and bathrooms deep cleaned.

Far better than getting DH to do it to your standards, you know when you're paying someone it'll be done really well.

I'd book it for a couple of weeks before you're due.

Cakescakescakes Thu 01-Jun-17 08:06:04

Absolutely do this. I did smile Be specific and make a list of things you want done as well as just a general deep clean e.g. I really wanted the grout in our shower bleached as it was so grubby.

Try and declutter as much as possible beforehand and have a think about where you're going to put all the baby stuff that people bring as gifts when baby arrives. I recommend having a few storage boxes either under a bed or stacked in baby's room and you can then throw clothes in as you receive them as gifts eg a box for 6-9 months, one for 3-6 months and one for 9 months +. Then it's all together, you can see if you get any duplicates (we got 7 of the same pair of Next dungarees in the same size 3-6 months!!!) which need to be returned and also it's all there sorted and ready to use when baby goes up a size. Means you don't have to sort through drawers of stuff to find what you need. Or
you don't go and buy two packs of 6-9 vests then get home and realise you already have two packs in that size buried under a pile of other stuff!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now