Talk

Advanced search

Washing load once a day - when do you wash your clothes and fold ?

(31 Posts)
BusyBee2017 Fri 19-May-17 20:56:50

Hi

For those of you who do one washing load of clothes each day when do you put your machine on?

Do you put it on in the morning or after work or before you go to sleep?

I am trying to do a load a day and usually I put it on first thing in the morning, put it in the tumble dryer the fold when I can during the day.

Today I have just put the washing machine on after dinner and wonder whether it was better washing & drying the clothes at night so that they are ready fold first thing in the morning.

What do you do and why?

Any tips are grateful

buntingqueen Fri 19-May-17 21:05:21

I wash either overnight or first thing in the morning, then hang out/tumble dry during the day and put them away in the evening. I find this give some the clothes less time to crease before being put away.

Gwencooper81 Fri 19-May-17 21:07:43

I've just put a wash on now. If I'm still awake when it's done I'll pop it on the airer. If not it'll be either out on the line or on the airer in the kitchen first thing.
Should be dry by the afternoon/evening .. folded and put away while kids shower tomorrow evening and another load on!
It never ends!

Lillieslamb Fri 19-May-17 21:11:12

I pop the clothes I to the machine (with detergent and fabric conditioner) before I go to bed, and set it on a 6 hour time delay. That way it's done shortly before I get up with dd and it has all day to dry (no tumble dryer). I tend to fold it when she goes to bed in the evening.

BusyBee2017 Fri 19-May-17 21:15:15

Yeah it never ends you are right. I was doing a load after every third day before but now with two small children finding two loads every second day (one white and one colour). This week I have been bunging white and colour together in one load each day with a colour catcher sheet.

I think I will put in tumble dryer first thing tomorrow and then fold by lunchtime that way they won't crease

notangelinajolie Fri 19-May-17 21:18:10

Always wash in the morning and if its good weather I will put them on the line to dry and finish them in the dryer for 10 mins. I put everything away once it's dry. In the winter it's straight into the dryer. Hope to have it done by lunch if I can.

DarkFloodRises Fri 19-May-17 21:20:35

I put the washing machine on the timer overnight (as our electricity is cheaper overnight) and hang it out first thing in the morning.

BusyBee2017 Fri 19-May-17 21:52:06

Yea Darkflood I started washing clothes at night and putting dishwasher/tumble dryer on at night to save money on the economy 7 but after doing that for a month I realised the readings were exactly the same!

So I've gone back to washing the day

hazeyjane Fri 19-May-17 21:57:22

I put a wash in on the morning, then in the dryer/on line before work, sometimes another wash when I get home, empty dryer and fold, put away at ds's bedtime, second load in dryer, take out at bed time. Fold put away in the morning.

P1nkP0ppy Fri 19-May-17 21:57:46

Washing machine goes on first thing in the morning, hung out or tumble dried then ironed either later that day or next morning. I probably do laundry twice a week as only the two of us.
When DCs were at home it was daily 😕

WhispersOfWickedness Fri 19-May-17 22:06:02

I have a timer on my washing machine, so it's set to come on at about 5.30am which means it finishes at about 7.30am. Then it gets hung out/put in tumble drier and folded and put away while waiting for DC (5&7) to get ready for bed smile

gojettersgo Fri 19-May-17 22:08:39

I put the wash in in the evening on timer to be done for wake up. I then put on an extra spin while having breakfast/getting ready and then either put out or put in the dryer. If I'm going out for the day I'll put the dryer back on for 10 mins when I get in to get the creases out. Fold and put away while kids are in the bath. Iron in the hallway as I'm putting away while the kiddos have a long bath a few days a week.

BusyBee2017 Fri 19-May-17 22:19:02

Thanks everybody ... looks like everybody puts on in the morning .. I think first thing in the morning is good for various reasons

PickAChew Fri 19-May-17 22:22:01

You shouldn't have a washer on overnight.
www.cheshirefire.gov.uk/public-safety/home-safety/washing-machine-and-dishwasher-fire-safety

BusyBee2017 Fri 19-May-17 22:22:56

Yes I am aware of the safety aspect! We have a fire alarm

BusyBee2017 Fri 19-May-17 22:23:06

Smoke alarm

Tinseleverywhere Fri 19-May-17 22:30:09

If you have a tumble drier try to time it so you take the stuff out still warm and smooth it out, then fold as this will help prevent it getting wrinkled.

HelenaJustina Fri 19-May-17 22:31:51

We don't tumble dry, so my machine goes on at about 6.30am when I get up and then everything is hung on the line or airers (depending on the weather!) before we leave for work and school.

BusyBee2017 Fri 19-May-17 22:31:56

Thanks for the great tip Tinsel

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Sat 20-May-17 07:25:55

I put it on when I get up (won't have it on while we're in bed in case of fire) then either hang it on the line before work or leave it and put it in the tumble dryer after work.

BrutusMcDogface Sat 20-May-17 08:09:01

How do you have time to hang it up before work?

I'm really failing at laundry at the moment and need to pull my finger out sad

Good tips here though. I do like putting both machines on at bedtime so they are ready to dry/fold in the morning, however putting away seems to be an issue for me.....as in it doesn't happen.....grinblush

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Sat 20-May-17 08:15:44

I suppose it just depends on your morning routine, I get up at 7 and put the machine on then, it takes about an hour and I leave for work at 8.30 so there is usually enough time. I work school hours only so I'm always home in time to take it in before it starts getting damp again in spring and autumn.

DarkFloodRises Sat 20-May-17 10:23:37

I find I can fit it in before leaving for work. It only takes a few minutes!

dementedma Sat 20-May-17 10:30:59

Put it on in the morning if there is going to be someone home to hang it out/up during the day.
Do at weekends otherwise. But I am a re-wearer ( and shall be vilified on MN accordingly) so don't have a load a day and never have had, even with 3 DC's.

BusyBee2017 Sat 20-May-17 12:59:40

Yeah folding and putting away is definitely the chore of all of it.

Yday I put a load away and there was a basket of clothes to put away straight after haha which I have just separated on the beds of each room ready to fold away! lol

But I have come down and emptied be dryer now with the dried clothes which I will add to each pile on each bed hahaha

And I have just put another load on!

I'm falling behind on the one load a day now hahahaha

I used to wear again too rather than washing but that was before I end up with dribble from the children or milk or snot haha nowadays my clothes last 2 to 3 hours before they get dirty with milk, snot or dribble haha so loads of washing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now