Talk

Advanced search

Cricket whites

(6 Posts)
BonfiresOfInsanity Fri 19-May-17 10:08:13

Please can anyone tell me their secret in how they get mud stains out of cricket trousers? I can get the grass off easy peasy but the mud just won't shift. I have tried loads of different washing powders/liquids, used Vanish both the direct on the stain ones and also the extra boost ones you put in the wash (liquid one and Gold powder one) and none of it shifts it, just fades it a bit.

This week, my DS didn't have cricket training because of the rain but his school decided that they could fitness train (in their whites!) instead. DS came home covered from top to toe in mud - front and back. I cannot get the trousers clean although the top seems to have made it to a respectable level.

Other than just bleaching them every week (he plays 4-5 times a week this year depending on matches) does anyone have any tips? Please???

TIA

MrsBadger Fri 19-May-17 10:19:55

Cold soak before it dries. Vanish bar and a nailbrush before going in the wash. For really bad ones I use De-Solv-It, which stinks but gets out most things, even bike grease.

Are they pure cotton? I only ask because now dd's swapped from a cotton karate gi to a coolmax synthetic type everything washes straight out - I had to sweat blood over the cotton one to get it white.

123rd Fri 19-May-17 10:21:59

I agree grass staining is easier to remove.
ASAP I wet the trousers, squirt aldi non bio on the stain and then pour some soda crystals on to it. Have a good scrub and then leave soaking in cold water. Sometimes over night.
( obvs question but you scrapping excess mud off first )

123rd Fri 19-May-17 10:22:50

And yes ours are synthetic ones. Maybe that's why it's easier?

BonfiresOfInsanity Fri 19-May-17 10:27:47

Thank you both, ours are synthetic but not expensive ones - Slazenger and Kookaburra ones. There's no real excess to scrape off it's just ingrained particularly on the knees and hems (although yesterdays horrors were something else and they were still wet from the rain when they went in the wash).

I'm trying to avoid too much scrubbing because I'm lazy theres so many flipping pairs to clean! grin

I will try the cold soak first, that sounds easy enough, and then the soda crystals and head for De-Solv-It as a last resort.

I love that he plays but wish they just all starting playing in colour clothing like the T20 lot do! grin

BonfiresOfInsanity Fri 19-May-17 10:28:57

I swear there's something evil in the mud round here! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now