Talk

Advanced search

Ironing lady? Tell me what you don't like

(6 Posts)
Numberonecook Thu 18-May-17 22:47:56

Thinking about getting someone to do our ironing as it's getting out hand. For those of you who use an ironing service could you tell me

what puts you off?

what are nice touches that they do to make you keep using them?

MrsHathaway Thu 18-May-17 22:56:11

I love my ironing lady. I don't use her often but she's a goddess. Ironically I quite like ironing, but I also get stressed when there's a big pile I can't ignore but have no time to do anything about. So I message her and suddenly the enormous pile of crumpled things becomes a far smaller pile of freshly pressed things.

She turns round within 24 hours, and does collection and pickup.

She charges per item so it's very clear what it will cost (some charge per hour), and regulars get special offers. She has a price per adult garment and a price per child garment so again it's very clear. A 5yo's t-shirt is far easier and quicker to iron than a 2yo's pleated/darted broderie anglaise frock but that's her problem grin

Everything is always perfect - no wonky seams or creases in the sleeves.

She'll pay attention to what I want folded and what I want hung.

MollyHuaCha Thu 18-May-17 23:15:32

Mine insists on ironing towels even though I've said not to. Won't iron my pants though... and bring British, I don't like to insist.

She has also ironed many a V into the back of a V necked jumper by ironing through a double thickness.

Generally, she does a great job!

cazzyc Fri 19-May-17 14:54:10

Our ironing lady does all of our bedding, even the sheets. It's like some sort of heaven.

MrsBadger Fri 19-May-17 14:58:32

Mine comes for a set time and irons whatever I leave hanging in the rail in the order it's hung (iyswim). I make sure top priority items are at the front and then intersperse so when time's up at least dh and I have an equal number of work shirts.

MrsBadger Fri 19-May-17 14:59:30

(She always irons over the spare button in the side seam though, has worn a few holes that way.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now